Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Re: Scanner Comparison 2019 [Epson Flatbed | Eversmart Flatbed | Drum Scanners]

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Cullmann View Post
    Pali, thank you very much for your resolving tests with your Eversmart Supreme. I got the same result with my Supreme than you with your actual test ( about 5100 dpi). I am surprised what resolution will be possible when the scanner got cleaned. Have you done this before? I know, there is a cleaning manual in the file section but I am afraid I could damage the scanner.

Especially the ccd-row can easy be damaged during cleaning with the wrong wipes or wrong detergent/alcohol.

Could you give me an advice how you would
    do this procedure? Thanks, Jürgen
    Thank you Jurgen! I am now also thinking if the resolution is impacted by the type of scanner glass that is used. I got my Eversmart Supreme with a black border glass which has the shinny surface and I swapped it with my Eversmart Pro glass with purple border that has an etched surface. I never noticed any resolution impact on the PRO but since the Supreme can resolve way more, I wonder if the resolution is being impacted slightly by the glass. I will test this tonight and post my results to confirm if it is glass or dirty optics that is causing my two tests to be different.

Regarding the cleaning process, it is a fairly straight forward procedure and you can still clean the mirrors and the lens without touching the CCD which is tucked under a clear glass plate to help avoid major issues. The only time you really have to worry is when you remove the protection glass from the CCD sensor and clean the inside of the CCD which I have never touched. I only use clean air pressure gun to blow through the opening and never did the cotton swab step that some recommend.

On the Epson, there is different resolution for verticle and horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    Yes, that is what I am seeing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I'd add that this is a well known effect:

https://archivehistory.jeksite.org/c.../appendixc.htm , see V750 evaluation.

While the High Res lens may resolve around 3000 dpi delivering some 2900-2800 dpi in the Horizontal axis (vertical bars), the V700-850 has a loss in the Horizontal axis (2200-2400), probably from vibrations from the carriage's mechanical drive.

So, here is something new to add to the notes going forward. The Purple Border Glass DOES impact resolution and if you want the best resolution, you should be using Black Border Glass for your Eversmart Supreme. This is what the resolution target looks like with the Black Border Glass. But the Purple Border Glass is doing what it is designed to do quite amazingly as well which is to minimize the effect of scratches on the scan.

PS: My resolution target is indeed in bad shape

I talked to Michael Streeter once re cleaning the glass on my IQsmart 2. IIRC he told me at the time that the IQsmart 1 and 2 had etched glass and the 3 had coated glass because of the higher resolution so I'm guessing that this is the same story as for the Eversmart series. So yes, using the right glass for each scanner is probbaly pretty important

Here is likely the problem. It is not normal that result drops like that due getting dust from the old target scan (as I supposed initially). Eversmart can support 2 different base glasses but you need to do following: check if you have small code tape underside your etched glass (purple). This is how Eversmart recognises that it is a different base glass. If it is there you need to run calibration with both glasses seperately. It will create then to calibration file data for second glass too. If you don't have the small patch taped underside etched glass I can send a scan of patch and you can just print it yourself and tape it to place where it belongs (small square box on edge near saw tooth pattern is reserved for it underside the base glass). The reason for this is that etched glass (purple) is not as thick as the original glass that is shipped with Eversmart and therefore scan is out of focus. I learned this from Micheal (great person and knows everything what comes to Eversmarts) when I bought my oil mounting set a year ago.

What comes to cleaning ccd it is not that hard.

I measured my 2 base glasses (1 with black boarder, 1 with purple boarder). Both have the same thickness of 4mm. So this could not be the reason for the difference in sharpness. I made testscans of my resolutiontarget dry and wetmounted. That caused a remarkable difference.

hmmm, 6.6 an 7.1 !

A X5 only goes one element beyond, and in 35mm only.

This is 36 MPix (effective) per inch2, so 2.9 GPix effective in 8x10" sheet, it outresolves what a perfect 8x10" negative is able by a factor of x5, in Pix jergon.

Thinking in a negative that would outresolve this scanner, it would be a 8x10" TechPan (cold stored) sheet exposed with a 30kg refined aerial lens, in the $500k range I guess.

Again I ask for size of USAF chart you guys are using.

I do use the big 8.5X11 inch print out Pere referred to earlier. It's too big! Even this blind old man can see all the lines.

The LaserSoft Imaging SilverFast SilverFast Resolution Target does not specify size or material. Is it a glass 35mm slide?
    Tin Can