Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone hear of a new Ilford paper possibility?

Re: Anyone hear of a new Ilford paper possibility?

If Ilford wanted to stun us all. Bring back P.O.P.
    Kentmere used to make Centennial brand of print out paper. Stopped when Ilford aquirered Kentmere.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    If Ilford wanted to stun us all. Bring back P.O.P.
    Kentmere used to make Centennial brand of print out paper. Stopped when Ilford aquirered Kentmere.
    Not happening, far too dangerous to the workforce to make unless on a dedicated machine. Gelatin POP has to be coated at significantly higher temperatures than developing-out-paper & silver nitrate gets splashed everywhere - the machine has to be stripped & cleaned totally after coating. As I understand it, the Kentmere product resulted from a cold war nuclear defence need, & was subsequently coated on FB - and was scheduled immediately before the annual shutdown/ deep cleaning.

More chance of polyester base MG or a new Kentona than POP. It may be that Ilford is contemplating making a new batch of direct positive paper on opaque poly base (like the Imago product formerly coated in Switzerland) & that's all there is to it. If it's anything other than rumours, it'll come to light pretty fast.

I would not be surprised if they introduce a digital Warm Tone silver paper, many labs would buy this product.

Jim Sidinger

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Ok , please let me answer your topic clearly.

BW photopaper has been ULTRA high resolving power since a century ago, at least. If the topic speaks about High Res without the ULTRA word included, this was about bare inkjet paper, ideal for mundane works. Not that difficult to guess it.
    Pere,
    I think you are on to the answer (as was your original post to the thread). I went back to talk more with the friend that started this and he now thinks that the person in England he talked to is beginning to work in digital printing. Because the source had worked years in traditional, he assumed they were talking about a silver based paper. ...but we all know what "assume" means.
    I'm considering it "case closed" for now unless I hear differently.

Thanks to all who contributed, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by denverjims View Post
    he assumed they were talking about a silver based paper...
    Let me reiterate that silver gelatin photo paper has a crazy high resolving power, for what's a printing medium. I've made some 8x10 contact prints coming from Nikon W360 crazy sharp shots. One can spend hours with a x20 magnifier on a contact copy while discovering what was in the landscape, really I can't figure what it can be improved in photopaper's sharpness, beyond the photographer

Drew Wiley

Here's the common-sense link some of you are missing : Remember back when Ilford acquired Swiss Ciba-Geigy? That's how they had the ability to temporarily come up with an experimental "Ultra Super-Duper Mega Deluxe Overwhemingly Sharp" b&w sheet product. Hope that satisfies Pere's demand for a taxonomic distinction. The visual distinction is obvious. I don't give a hoot about the semantics. It could be mfg optical or laser-digital cross-compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Here's the common-sense link some of you are missing : Remember back when Ilford acquired Swiss Ciba-Geigy? That's how they had the ability to temporarily come up with an experimental "Ultra Super-Duper Mega Deluxe Overwhemingly Sharp" b&w sheet product. Hope that satisfies Pere's demand for a taxonomic distinction. The visual distinction is obvious. I don't give a hoot about the semantics. It could be mfg optical or laser-digital cross-compatible.
    Drew, photo paper has a quite simple structure, even me I'm able to manufacture baryted paper resolving 60 lp/mm with my DIY emulsion for dry plates. Denise has a new book on that. Here Ron Mowrey speaks how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4q0Ryh9pBE&t=101s Another thing is making an industrial/commercial paper, buy in every situation a low speed emulsion has crazy sharpness.

Just for the record Ilford is the company that makes injet photo paper and Harmon is the company that makes Ilford chemical photo paper.

Drew Wiley

No Pere, you are not capable of making something like Cibachrome, even monochrome, though you might be capable of coating voided white Fuji Supergloss base with something interesting. Why do you keep referring to paper? These are not paper at all, even RC. And they don't look like paper. But who knows what the source of this rumor is, or if any kind of product is really going to come out? Quite a few companies go on fishing expeditions just to see if there's any interest, before they actually make anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Just for the record Ilford is the company that makes injet photo paper and Harmon is the company that makes Ilford chemical photo paper.
    Just for the record, Harman Technology also offers inkjet paper under the Harman brand:

https://www.harmantechnology.com/inkjet