Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon T Lenses for my 4x5

Fujinon T Lenses for my 4x5

I've been considering a longer lens for my Cambo SC. I already have a 210 Sironar-M, and a 10" Paragon. While neither of these two are considered stellar performers, they've fit my needs. The Cambo has sufficient draw for either a long lens or a telephoto.

I'm looking at a longer telephoto lens for my use. I've seen the Fujinon 300mm T, and the 400mm T. I don't believe the 300mm would be a huge "leap" in magnification, but the 400mm seems to be the necessary jump in focal length. The prices seem economical, and the 400's all seem to be multicoated.

Any comments, preferences? Budget is a factor.

Thanks for any advice.
    Best,
    Dennis

Re: Fujinon T Lenses for my 4x5

You might want to consider Komura (T) lenses. I have a 300mmm f/6.3 and a 500mm f/7. Very sharp optics and the Komura brand is almost always priced lower than the Fuji brand.

Foamer

As lenses get longer you generally do have to double them to see much difference.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I've used a Fujinon-T 600mm f12 and been happy with the results.

The 300mm is pretty close to your 10" so you might get more use from a Fujinon-T 400mm, Nikkor-T 360/500/720mm, or perhaps the Komura 500mm Greg mentions. The other obvious alternative would be to carry the Fujinon-T 300mm instead of your 10" Paragon.

How much bellows draw on the Combo SC? If there is enough bellows draw to use a non-telephoto lens design, the overall results and on camera performance of the lens would be better due to the ability to use non-telephoto design lenses.

Bernice

Bernice, how much draw an SC can have depends on the rail and the number of intermediate standards and bellows used. Cambo sells double rail clamps that connect two of the SC's 1" x 1" rails and 80/20 brand 1" square (their size 1010) t-slotted aluminum extrusion is available in lengths up to 8 feet at quite low prices.

GOOD!

Given there is extreme bellows draw possible with the Cambo SC, one should consider a non-telephoto lens for many of the reasons previously discussed.

There are two tele-photo design lenses used, 360mm Tele-Xenar, 270mm Rotelar both are used on a 6x9 Arca Swiss due to it's limited bellows draw. Both are plenty good image quality wise for 6x9.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Bernice, how much draw an SC can have depends on the rail and the number of intermediate standards and bellows used. Cambo sells double rail clamps that connect two of the SC's 1" x 1" rails and 80/20 brand 1" square (their size 1010) t-slotted aluminum extrusion is available in lengths up to 8 feet at quite low prices.

Drew Wiley

The Fuji's T's are very highly regarded for 4x5 landscape work. I've seen some pretty big prints done with them. But with a monorail which you can extend, why do you specifically want a telephoto? when certain standard lenses of equivalent focal length are both lighter, far less bulky, and optically superior. I'm certainly not suggesting that there's anything wrong with taking the tele route, but that it isn't the only option in your case.

After taking all your opinions and information into consideration, I opted to get a Fujinon T 400mm f/8. I searched eBay, and found what turned out to be a fantastic deal on the lens.

I pulled the trigger on Sunday night, and received the lens today via Japanese/US postal services. They did a very nice job of not crushing the box.

The lens is spotless; no dust, no haze, no fungus, no separation. The f-stops are crisp, and from comparing it to a recently CLA'd 180mm WF Ektar, the shutter speeds are spot on (yes, I know that's not a real test, but close enough until I can have it machine tested).

It came with both lens caps, mounted on a Toyo lens board. I remounted it on a Graflex board, and will use it on my Cambo. I tested the focus on my Super Graphic, and it has a draw of around 10.5".

The weather's a bit crappy, with 3"-8" of snow coming in tonight. Out next week for a test run, weather permitting.

Thanks again, for your advice and information.
    Best,
    Dennis

Enjoy the lens! I'll be interested in how you feel about it after you've shot it a bit. I might get one for use on my Toyo AX.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know