Thread: Opinions on the Gitzo series 2 systemic tripod (GT2542LS)? Why is it discontinued? Ho

Opinions on the Gitzo series 2 systemic tripod (GT2542LS)? Why is it discontinued? Ho

I was looking at the series two systemic for 4x5 work. I noticed it is a discontinued item.

Could anyone advise on the performance of these series two systemic? How do they compare to series 3 systemic?

Would a series 3 serve double duty for 8x10 work as well?

Foamer

Re: Opinions on the Gitzo series 2 systemic tripod (GT2542LS)? Why is it discontinued

I have a series 3 gitzo (1325.) It easily holds my 5x7 gundlach korona. I have doubts a series 2 would.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Opinions on the Gitzo series 2 systemic tripod (GT2542LS)? Why is it discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    Would a series 3 serve double duty for 8x10 work as well?
    I use a series 3 for both 4x5 and 8x10 (both Arca Swiss, so not super light but not heavyweights either). When I got the 8x10 I bought a series 5 for it, but almost always opt for the lighter weight 3 series. For me, the series 5 is overkill. Airline baggage weight is always a concern for me.

YMMV

Bob

I have no idea why they are discounting this particular model but in the past Gitzo have done that and then released an updated version. It's also possible it's too similar to some of their series 3 offerings.

The GT2542LS (man, that's a mouthful) has been my main 'pod for hiking for a number of years now. I've just returned from two of the windiest weeks hiking I've experienced in Tasmania. There were a few instances where the wind was so strong my Arca was vibrating like a tuning fork (hence I choose not to expose film) but the tripod itself was still pretty solid. My issue is always the trade-off between height and weight/rigidity, the GT2542LS has a pretty decent height to weight ratio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6895.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	186354

I have used it occasionally with an 8x10 at a pinch but if you want a tripod that will do double duty for 4x5 and 8x10, I'd look at a series 3.

All the best,
    M