Thread: Modifying (time length) or Disabling the Unicolor Uniroller Bidirectional Switch?

Modifying (time length) or Disabling the Unicolor Uniroller Bidirectional Switch?

Does anyone know how to disable or modify the switch over length for the unicolor uniroller? I gather the capacitor determines the timing of the switch?

Re: Modifying (time length) or Disabling the Unicolor Uniroller Bidirectional Switch?

What voltage is it running on? Ac or dc? Could you draw a diagram and share?

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Re: Modifying (time length) or Disabling the Unicolor Uniroller Bidirectional Switch?

Not sure about a diagram, but it runs on AC 220-240. I know there are US models too... I have a couple of those.. There is an internal switch that is continuously being flicked approx every couple of seconds through a mechanical finger that is tied to the drive. I am not sure how they actually achieve the flick. It must be a combination electrical and mechanical.

Could you point to switch in a picture? (I believe all 110 and 230 volt motors need condensator.)

Remove or move " lever arm" away might give you one direction only. Other option is to move this switch out of the base, and use manual switching or a timer. Then you must know what you are doing in terms of 220V and the responsibility of fire, personal damage to you or 3. man. We always use finger safe, highest quality equipment on our hydraulic lifts, and set out high voltage jobs to qualified entrepreneurs, even when we can do it, as we don't have the papers.

If I recall correctly it's just a mechanical switch that you can disable. Then you can rotate the drum 180 deg by hand every so often to vary the agitation. I actually made a 555 timer circuit to control a relay that works like the mechanical switch to change direction. This works for the large expert drums. But the hand rotation will probably work fine and is easier to implement.

What Oslolens said. There is as springy metal "finger" that is connected to the gearing. Depending on the current direction of
    rotation, it acts on a switch to cause the direction to reverse. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to disable it once
    you see how it works. (I had to fix one once when it arrived from Unicolor not working. Mine was a 120V model by the way.)
    I confess that I took the bottom cover off and watched the mechanism in operation to figure this out. The trick is to not
    stick a paw in there when it is plugged in!
    (It's not enough to turn it off to be safe; you have to unplug it.) You may want
    to have a friend there while you do it, to help you not do something you might regret, or have someone who is electrically
    savvy do it for you.

I don't know of any way to change the rotation speed.

BTW, I've used a Beseler motor base that only rotates in one direction for years with my 3010 tank, and never seen any need to
    manually flip the drum during development. (B/W that is.)
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com