Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: mixing my own developer supplies

Re: mixing my own developer supplies

Very wise Neil,

3M makes very good products.

They have a Respirator Selection Page which lists suggested options.

I once spray painted a motorcycle with 2 Part Epoxy paint that had cyanide hazard. I bought and used the correct mask, disposable suit, and converted my garage to a filtered spray booth with exhaust fan.

I was unharmed, but will never do that again. I have seen very few old men car painters...

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    If you're mixing powders, I recommend a full face mask to protect the respiratory system. I bought 3M mask years ago from a local safety supply store. It's easy to update the filters.

I sure didn't want D76 or Dektal powder getting into my lungs.
    Tin Can

Well, as long is it was not gold paint. The huffers say gold paint is the best because of the Tolune (sp) in it is a higher concentration than the other paints.

I am no stranger to respirators. Purchase a new one at the beginning of every summer and tend to go through many different grades of filters in the year. I learned a hard lesson when I got in a hurry and forgot to strip the galvinization off some casters before welding them on a table. I ground the weld areas but neglected to strip the whole thing and decided I was only making a few welds and did not need my respirator. Plain stupid and lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post
    I am no stranger to respirators. Purchase a new one at the beginning of every summer and tend to go through many different grades of filters in the year. I learned a hard lesson when I got in a hurry and forgot to strip the galvinization off some casters before welding them on a table. I ground the weld areas but neglected to strip the whole thing and decided I was only making a few welds and did not need my respirator. Plain stupid and lesson learned.
    You don't want to weld or heat galvanized, because it releases what looks like microscopic thorns thar look like the barbs on fishhooks, and they embed in yer lungs, so no fun...

You should wear at least a dust mask, but many chems are heavier crystal like, and don't fly around, but some do, but not hard to handle where they stay put...

Some things like galical acetic acid and other strong liquids should be used with a face shield and mixed outside, and never add water to an acid, but a little acid to COLD water at a time to prevent a heat reaction...

Try to find the articles from Darkroom Techniques magazine from the last decades, great formulas and techniques!!!

Steve K

Galvanized Fever aka Galvey fever is horrible.

My last employer refused to replace the welding room power filter vent and I refused to weld anymore. Others were stupid.

Maybe that's why I was forced to pasture...
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Industrial painters have a reputation for short lifespans. Sure glad I didn't open my own industrial paint store. As it was, I kicked out all the true industrial products requiring hot solvent pigments. The bigger problem was finding experienced color matchers whose brains weren't already fried. Toluene and MEK work just like glue sniffing. The damn paint stores had back mixing rooms without fume hoods or really any kind of legal ventilation. Respirators by themselves don't supply clean air. Those guys would seem friendly, normal, and competent, then all of a sudden punch a customer or the boss without even knowing why. One of them stabbed his own brother at the dinner table, and only realized it when he was arrested. Then there's the flammability issue. Not worth it.