Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Grandfather's Woodshop

My Grandfather's Woodshop

I have a strong history of craftsmanship on my mom's side of the family - my great-grandmother made ceramic and porcelain statues and decorations with a kiln in her basement, my grandfather built and refurbished wooden furniture as a side-business, my aunt and uncle do stained glass and lathe work, and my mom used to make all kinds of wooden crafts, at one point selling them in craft shops and fairs.

I've done a bit of wood-working too and would like to do more when I am able to build-out a woodshop, but that's probably a ways off.

Anyway, my grandfather has a massive workshop (about as big as their house) and I've always loved the tools and "stuff" hanging in it. I've been meaning to photograph it for awhile and finally did so over Christmas. Here's a few shots - all with my Chamonix 45n1, with a 13.5cm f/4.5 Rodenstock Trinar lens, on T-Max 100 dev'd in Rodinal 1:50. The Trinar lens is probably about as old as my grandfather. I find the lens makes nice old-world images with pleasing OOF rendering, hence why I used it.

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: My Grandfather's Woodshop

Well done! Love the tonal range and the feelings they invoke.

IMHO there is little better than making stuff or fixing stuff up, I'm always happiest when there is a project underway... Great subject, nicely done

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Great series. Very neat and sharp photos, the only thing missing is your grandfather. I hope you can shoot him.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Thanks all. Yes, looking at these photos, I had the thought that some might think he was deceased. He is not, but both he and my grandmother are not in great health. Asking him to sit for a photo at the time wasn't doable (with holiday prep and such) but I do need to do that, soon.

I did take some photos of my grandmother as she is mostly bound to her chair but haven't developed them yet.

PS: I used to take a yearly family photo but that hasn't happened in several years due to various personal and health reasons. HERE is a link to our photo in 2014. My grandmother and grandfather are the second couple from the right, back row. My wife and I, far right front. Posted this in the portrait section years ago and it's still on my server so thought I would share.
    Last edited by Corran; 10-Jan-2019 at 19:11.

This reminds me of my buddy Lloyd's shop. He has the piped-in vacuum and everything, and clamps, clamps, and more clamps! You can never have too many.

Nice pictures Corran and a good document for the young-uns in the family.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Yep -- those are very nice.

That is something very special. Congratulations. I wonder how many people wouldn't have the photographers eye to see and be aware of this and realize that someday it will all be gone. That looked like a fun project too. Can't wait to get my Chamonix.

Thanks again to all of you. I knew there was something to shoot as soon as I saw all those clamps in the morning sunlight coming in from the windows.

I should probably spend a few more hours in there next time I visit. Sometimes I get distracted by the landscape and forget to shoot what's closer to home. I shot these 4 sheets and then was out of film for the day.

I shot a few images on 35mm but the tonality and feel of the LF is vastly superior.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Thanks for sharing the picture of your family. You are motivating me to shoot my woodworking shop too. It has been closed and become a storage after I retired from guitar making. I will have to do some cleanup. Here is a sample in 35mmVoigtlander NOKTON 35mm f1.2 ASPH II by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones