Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Shooing dust- compressor for the new darkroom?

Drew Wiley

Re: Shooing dust- compressor for the new darkroom?

They have a tremendous inventory in their central distribution in Indiana. You have to be careful with internet dealers: some have products in stock; others backorder to Indiana. There are maybe three "catalog dealers" in the US that actually stock nearly everything in the catalog. Two in New England which operate internet style, plus the dealership I set up here in CA which is more geared to walk-in contractor trade, but will ship if you're not in a hurry. Festool does not sell direct; never. The official site is Festoolusa.com and strictly informational. The dealer prices are fixed country-wide by legal contract, same price everywhere, no exceptions (except used or stolen goods!). Sales taxes vary by state to state policy. Amazon has a modest selection of items in stock, but you have to beware of being baited with significantly lower-quality off-brand accessories. I strongly recommend getting a hard-copy paper catalog from Festool; easier to identify all the accessory options in there. Just call them to get on their list or sign up on-line. Also check out their link to the Festool Road Show if you want to see the coolest truck rig ever built.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    They have a tremendous inventory in their central distribution in Indiana. You have to be careful with internet dealers: some have products in stock; others backorder to Indiana. There are maybe three "catalog dealers" in the US that actually stock nearly everything in the catalog. Two in New England which operate internet style, plus the dealership I set up here in CA which is more geared to walk-in contractor trade, but will ship if you're not in a hurry. Festool does not sell direct; never. The official site is Festoolusa.com and strictly informational. The dealer prices are fixed country-wide by legal contract, same price everywhere, no exceptions (except used or stolen goods!). Sales taxes vary by state to state policy. Amazon has a modest selection of items in stock, but you have to beware of being baited with significantly lower-quality off-brand accessories. I strongly recommend getting a hard-copy paper catalog from Festool; easier to identify all the accessory options in there. Just call them to get on their list or sign up on-line. Also check out their link to the Festool Road Show if you want to see the coolest truck rig ever built.
    Sounds like the truck might be worth viewing. What is store in CA? I get out and there several times a year. There is a wood working supply store in my area sells them, so thought I would check them out. Only one internet dealer still around if you get link from Festool website. As long as I can get a supply of bags and filters and the occasional replacement part, I am good.

Drew Wiley

The store is Truitt & White in Berkeley, right beside the Freeway. Lots of the accessories are in backstock, so you have to ask, though all the vacs per se are displayed in the main store. If you run into a snag with newer people in an off day, you could always make arrangements for me to show up and help because, although I'm retired, I don't live far away - provided I'm not traveling, of course. The big truck arrived there in Sept last year when I was away on a long backpacking trip. They haven't posted the truck schedule for Arizona or Calif yet. There are dozens of Festool internet dealers across the country. The problem with the main website is that they link certain products to woodworking stores (which are increasingly uncommon in a brick and mortar sense), certain others items under paint store distribution per lead paint extraction, others to drywall specific trade shows, and still others under auto body trade via a 3M marketing partnership. It was kinda a gripe for someone like us who did all the above plus residential construction, marine, heavy industry, and even serious fine arts applications, including museums. But don't let that minor technicality bother you. The only time Festool can run out of something critical is this time of year, when ports and roads freeze up and potentially slow down shipments from Germany.

Very cool, appreciate the offer. If I get out that way and haven't got what I need, I will get a hold of you.

What accessories should I get? I will be cleaning carpet in office where I do the mounting of negatives. Will have a humidifier, ionizer/air purifier, and an ionizing air nozzle and the small jc compressor you pointed out. I was thinking of some attachments for vacuuming thins like keyboards, monitors, etc.

Drew Wiley

I forgot to mention that their vacs and a limited number of other tools are also distributed by select Benjamin Moore paint stores across the country. So that might be an easier option for you. If Las Vegas is closer, you can find things there. Only an antistatic hose comes with each of the vacs. The best value for accessories is to buy a full kit in a matched stacking case which fits right atop the vacuum. Festool does not make miniature attachments. But there are some that can be fitted to their hoses and are suitable for computer and darkroom work. Remember, all this gear is metric, very high quality, and not the usual cheapo Shop Vac sizing. You just want to be certain to turn the power way down when using small attachments. In fact, tech repair folks buy entire kits of Festool gear, right down to a special handtruck for their stacked containers. You can really spend a lot of money if your aren't careful. But they make that quite a temptation by offering a discount on any vac with the purchase of any of their power tools, which in turn pay for themselves almost instantly due to the sheer efficiency of the work they do. Something like one of their rail saws is invaluable for sizing framing materials or making your own darkroom cabinets. You won't find those at a paint store, however.

I may have missed it, but any decoy on miniature tools? Regular tool kit for cleaning like carpets and hard flooring? I am picking up my midi this week from a woodworking store. I may also get a couple of tools and such to start making my own frames. Woo Hoo!