Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon 450 C lens in non original copal shutter?

Fujinon 450 C lens in non original copal shutter?

I have received a 450C 12.5 in a copal shutter with max aperture of 6.3? This is obviously a non matching copal shutter. Would the scale still be relevant or it it incorrect and useless?

Re: Fujinon 450 C lens in non original copal shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by l2oBiN View Post
    I have received a 450C 12.5 in a copal shutter with max aperture of 6.3? This is obviously a non matching copal shutter. Would the scale still be relevant or it it incorrect and useless?
    Useless. Max aperture is 12.5 which would correspond to 6.3 on your scale. SK Grimes can make you a new aperture scale if you sent it to them.

You would need to either get the proper scale or calibrate it yourself. 1 f stop equals one shutter half or double. If you had a densitometer and time you could figure it out.
    If you want it right, send it to SK Grimes or another expert.

I looked at other examples on ebay. The scales are numbered by copal. Your's says 49, the proper scale number is 64 .Look at these on ebay. Looks like a very valuable lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I looked at other examples on ebay. The scales are numbered by copal. Your's says 49, the proper scale number is 64 .Look at these on ebay. Looks like a very valuable lens.
    Good idea. Will save you postage and wear and tear on the lens if you just get the scale and screw it in place. Grimes can make it without the lens and just send it to you. The Fujinon 450/12.5 is a very special lens, enjoy it.

Thanks you. Simply ordering the scales is a great idea!

Does this still need verification or calibration of any sort? Or is it generic for all copal 1 shutters?

Do the scales differ for various copal shutters (ie are they number specific to the shutter sizes)?

Is there any info out there regarding copal aperture scales and designation for various lenses? It would be great if just surplus scales could be ordered...

A fantastic, peerless lens. Congratulations!

Until you find/have engraved the proper aperture scale, just mentally double all the numbers on the current scale. Your results will be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    A fantastic, peerless lens. Congratulations!

Until you find/have engraved the proper aperture scale, just mentally double all the numbers on the current scale. Your results will be perfect.
    Genius!

Thanks you. Simply ordering the scales is a great idea!

Does this still need verification or calibration of any sort? Or is it generic for all copal 1 shutters?

Do the scales differ for various copal shutters (ie are they number specific to the shutter sizes)?

Is there any info out there regarding copal aperture scales and designation for various lenses? It would be great if just surplus scales could be ordered...
    The scale may just be part of it. I have no idea if these were made as a standard service part. I think if you look they may be riveted in place. I would call SKG or a shutter shop and get an idea. A new shutter would be over 500 bucks so it's worth your time to do some checking around. Very nice lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Genius!
    Perhaps. You should check first. Fire the shutter on "T", move the diaphragm to as wide as it will go. Then close it very slowly. If the blades first begin to appear when the pointer is at 6.3, the advice is good. Otherwise, not. If they become visible before the pointer is at 6.3, get a new scale. If they become visible after the pointer has passed 6.3, the point on the scale where they become visible corresponds to 12.5. Your shutter's scale is divided into 1/3 stops. Three 1/3 stops closed from f/12.5 is f/18, six is f/25 and so on.