Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are any medium format lens circles large enought to cover 4x5?

Are any medium format lens circles large enought to cover 4x5?

Hello

I know that most lenses for bayonett mount, rigid cameras will have a very small excess of lens circle around the frame of their intended formats, but... some may go a bit further...

most medium format lenses will fit directly onto #00, #0 or #1 shutters and i could use them in some DIY cameras...

is there some tables or i just have to check...

thanks

Rui Lourosa

Re: Medium format lens circle...

A few shortish lenses for MF cameras -- the 58/5.6 and 60/5.6 Hexanon/Omegon come to mind, also the 4"/2.0 TTH as fitted to Vinten F.95, AGI F.134 and F.139 -- will stretch to 2x3 but not to 4x5. Longer lenses might (great stress might) stretch to 4x5 but you'll have to try them to find out. The 12"/4 TTH telephoto fitted to those aerial cameras is said to cover 4x5, barely.

I take it you're looking for cheap thrills. Good luck.

Re: Are any medium format lens circles large enought to cover 4x5?

The 127mm Mamiya for Polaroid is said to cover 4x5". Long time since I had it. Sold as it could not be fitted to Cambo SC.

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    The 127mm Mamiya for Polaroid is said to cover 4x5". Long time since I had it. Sold as it could not be fitted to Cambo SC.

Here it is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Near-Mint-M...1/123579430007

I have seen images from Pentax 67 lenses that appear to have much larger image circles than the 6x7 frame. I believe I have seen an image from the 105mm f/2.4 covering 4x5 at portrait distances IIRC. Of course corner performance is probably not good, but if that was your concern, you probably wouldn't be adapting MF lenses!

I am sure that any typical shuttered lens that could fit into a normal shutter and adapted to LF easily has been tried. Google is your friend here, or if you have them already, just try it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have a lot of lenses for lf...

since the shutter size is a camera standard, i could use a bronica lens or mamiya lens on a diy camera or in a view camera fitted with a medium format back.

just wandering cheap thrills are welcome

As long as your DIY camera has short enough flange-focal-distance, you can trigger the lens' shutter on it (not possible with some MF lenses), and you don't need the lens to cover more than its native format, you'll be fine.

If you want to use MF lenses in barrel, e.g., Pentax 67 system, look into getting a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic.

There are adapters for using RB67 lenses on view cameras, there's a hint about what can be used, not about coverage. Published coverages for these lenses give the size of the subject at the lens' closest focusing distance. Not what we think of as coverage.

Hold on. I am confused. Are their common shutters that accept 39mm (Leica) threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Hold on. I am confused. Are their common shutters that accept 39mm (Leica) threads?
    No.

But Linhof offered their Macro board system with a specially modified Copal 0 to accept Macro Componon lenses in Leica thread mount after they discontinued the version for Zeus’s Luminars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    You're not alone. I'm very sure that most MF lenses will not fit in any standard LF shutter. Even the lens parts of a GX680 that is internally build like a LF lens don't fit in a standard #1 as the threads of that electric Seiko is different. And as far as Mamiya Press or Fuji 690 lenses are concerned I think it will be a lot easier to just mount a spare body coupling to a lens board.

Some TLR lenses might be adaptable to standard shutters work just like those of old 6x9 folder cameras.
    Expert in non-working solutions.