Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear that comes from non-photography sources

Drew Wiley

Re: Gear that comes from non-photography sources

Ha! I actually got my 3M microfiber lenscloths - simply the very best - directly from 3M in bulk using our Ace Industrial account. Way better than the camera store variety and only about 10% the price (if you're lucky enough to have a direct account with 3M). Sadly, I suspect my ole store let the account go dormant once all we old guard retired. So I might have to look elsewhere once my stockpile runs out.

I'm with Bob Salomon on quality microfiber cloths. $0.02.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Light stands made from leftover microphone stands from when we sold audio equipment, a cardboard 8" "sonotube" from Home Depot in my tripod bag to protect my tripods, a later tripod case made from a slightly modified Mil-surplus water filter case-able to withstand 200 pound of me jumping up and down on it!. A film washer made of 4" PVC pipe and parts from Home Dept. My light stands for hummingbird photography that get left outside from April until October-disc brake rotors, 3/4 NPT floor flanges, 6' 3/4 plywood circles bolted to the brake rotors, 3/4 NPT to 3/4 EMT pipe adapters and 3/4 EMT for uprights-bases sprayed with Rustolem truck bed liner so they last.

A background stand for studio work made of 3 sizes of square metal tube that nest..it goes up to 12' high.

Guys, it's like one of my Facebook posts.."The day you stop thinking, building, creating is the day you start to die"

And Thomas Edison once said "To invent things, you need a really big pile of junk"

...and that is why I have a hard time scrapping anything, except cardboard boxes., which I recycle...

...just got done condensing a large pile of cardboard for a recycle run, but I kept some and all the bubble wrap...

I get mad at myself if I need to make a run to get a bolt or something...

...those old guys in the 50's that had baby food bottles all screwed to a wall full of ORGANIZED screws...

Impressed me for life!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post

And Thomas Edison once said "To invent things, you need a really big pile of junk"
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post

What a nice quote... Even junk cameras provide parts for the working ones. No trip to the hardware store is cheap even if you went for a small fastener you come out with more than that. If you've got room for junk, it's handy to the inventor.

I've gotten a real kick out of the variety of food container tops people have used for lens caps for obscure large format lenses. The lens goes about in a pelican case and is wrapped in a $25 premium lens wrap, and ensconced in that, it's capped with a yogurt container top.

Ammo boxes... This holds 7 4x5 film holders and a 120 propack dust free and water resistant.

This holds my Rolleiflex, meter, and accessories and a propack.

TAB Gear Biathlon sling (for rifles) holds my Ries Tripod with comfort.

wide mouth tool bag for the speed graphic and lenses

Fishing reel case for lens storage and transport.

Digital kitchen timers, swizzle sticks, cough syrup measuring cups, juice bottles for darkroom

Along with my length of parachute cord from the hardware store, I carry a huge treble hook from Barlow's Tackle. It is about 4-1/2" high and 3" or so in diameter. (One would use these, I suppose, if you were fishing for sharks or alligators.) Tied to the end of the cord, it makes it easy to snag those branches that are just out of reach so you can pull them out of the corner or edge of the image. Strongly recommended is to grind the points and barbs off as I did before packing it in your bag!
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

I have a Pellican case (1510?) that rolles around aqnd has been great for travel. There is an after market set of shoulder straps that allow it to be carried as a backpack. It looks uncomfortable, it interferes with the function of the wheels and costs over $100. Not for me.

Today, I ran across a similar product that has been designed to be used with the hard case for a popular quad copter drone, the DIJ Inspire-1. This product is a set of backpack shoulder straps with a back pad and waist belt that straps to the drone's protective hard case. Turns out, it also fits the Pelican 1510, does not interfere with the wheels and can be found online for less than $50! I got mine for under $40.

Can't wait for the UPS delivery.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Oh . . .as for ACE Hardware store fixes . . .my old Velbon Magnesium ball head fell apart when the bolt broke. Replaced it with qa hardware store bolt for under a buck.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Oh . . .as for ACE Hardware store fixes . . .my old Velbon Magnesium ball head fell apart when the bolt broke. Replaced it with qa hardware store bolt for under a buck.
    Qa?

Eric Woodbury

Frig storage boxes for tools and knick-knacks.
    Wall-worts to power red LEDs as tiny safelights.
    Stirring machine and lab glassware that a semi-conductor company was tossing.
    Various chemicals from various other home and industrial applications. Like carbonate for hot tubs. Vit C from TJs.
    Makeup pouches for lens storage.
    Lighting gels cut to size instead of Wratten gels.
    Gaffers tape holds my life together and I use it for marking, too.
    500cc plastic water bottle for holding developer. 10 bottle per batch XTOL.
    A count-up timer made from an old LED alarm clock.
    Soda coolers and ammo boxes for film holder storage.
    Crutch tips on my tripod legs after the factory equipment fell off.