Thread: Gitzo G1370M for 8x10?

Gitzo G1370M for 8x10?

I'd like to ask what the general consensus is regarding the suitability of the Gitzo G1370M tripod head for 8x10.

I recently purchased on Ebay from a large, well-known NYC photographic outlet a used G1570M head for use on my G1548 MkII carbon fiber legs. But what arrived yesterday was a G1370M head which is a little smaller than the G1570M.
    Communications with the seller today indicates that they do not have the G1570M head that I purchased. So I am wondering about keeping the smaller G1370 if we can come to an agreement on price.

My 8x10 is an old Ansco (pre-Agfa) which is not terribly heavy. The G1370M seems adequate for the task. Being smaller and lighter it also makes transporting the tripod easier. For bigger cameras I still have a couple of Ries tripods. But those guys are getting heavier every year!

So, I'd like to ask your thoughts please.

Re: Gitzo G1370M for 8x10?

I have both an older G1570 and a G1370m. My feeling is that you'd be ok, unless you use really long lenses, and then a monopod (or similar) under the front standard might be needed with either head for maximum stability.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use a G1370M/G340 combination for formats up to and including 8x10. But I should add that my heaviest 8x10 field camera weighs ~8 pounds. Add a film holder and a lens and figure I'm loading the head with up to 12 or 13 pounds, max. Beyond that I go to a G1570M on a 5-series aluminum legset - looks just like a beefier G340 but I can't remember the model number off the top of my head.

Situation resolved. I'm keeping the 1370. Turns out the seller never even had the 1570 to begin with. Somebody got confused and dropped the ball.

Oh, well. We came to a mutually satisfactory agreement and I received a partial refund to make good. For my purposes this combo should work well. As I said, I do have a Ries A which was my original 8x10 tripod, but now serves mostly for ULF. It can still be used for 8x10 if I need (and if I'm willing to carry it!)

I appreciate the input of those that have. Since my situation is resolved, I would normally suggest the thread be closed. But it may have general interest beyond just my own....

i just bought the 1570, and i have the 4 series... my deardorff is not heavy a ansco...

Will, I’ve used my 1370m with my diy 11X14...pushing things a bit - but fine for 8X10, given that the contact footprint is at
    least equal to that of the head. Not familiar with your camera, but if there is (or could be made) provision to enable the use
    of two threaded receptacles (a second t-nut or insert), this would add a bit of extra stability.