Thread: Packard Shutter problem

Packard Shutter problem

I've been cleaning a Packard (labelled Dallmeyer) Shutter and its got a slight problem. It works but there is a slight initial resistance when it is operated. So it won't open easily, but once its moved very slightly it does run smoothly. The problem appears to be the copper spring (arrowed) which I assume is in place to retain the blades in the closed position (see photo). This seems to be applying excessive pressure and preventing air pressure on the plunger from allowing the shutter to start opening. My question is whether to simply reduce the curvature on the copper spring or whether to simply remove it? Is this fitted on all Packard shutters and is it essential?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Packard.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	186245
    Last edited by pgk; 9-Jan-2019 at 08:26.

Re: Packard Shutter problem

Try polishing it first. Emory paper, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Try polishing it first. Emory paper, too.
    Thanks, that's helped, and it works fine now, until the shutter is finally screwed up again. The problem is excessive drag by the spring when both of the blades locate under it. My suspicion is that this shutter has not been used for decades (it is from a process camera) so I may try removing the spring entirely or bending it to reduce the friction. Looking on line I can't find photos of a Packard with this spring - is it on most or not usually fitted at all?

I have never seen it on actual Packard shutters.

Is it 5 inch hole 'Packard Type'?

I had a very clean 5" hole iteration that would never work right.

It had one more leaf than any smaller Packard and always jammed.

Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Thanks, that's helped, and it works fine now, until the shutter is finally screwed up again. The problem is excessive drag by the spring when both of the blades locate under it. My suspicion is that this shutter has not been used for decades (it is from a process camera) so I may try removing the spring entirely or bending it to reduce the friction. Looking on line I can't find photos of a Packard with this spring - is it on most or not usually fitted at all?
    Tin Can

From looking at photos I am pretty sure that its a 'standard' Packard but with this extra copper spring which does look as though it was factory fitted. The Dallmeyer name is on the front but its clearly a Packard.

I've never seen the copper spring in any of my many Packards. I'd hesitate to remove it though. Try buffing it to a very smooth shine and then finishing with some carnauba wax. It may have been added to hold the blades together when closed so that glance angle light cannot come in.

Thanks everyone. I'll polish the spring some more and try removing it if needed (it uses two small screws so taking it off and replacing it is not a problem) to just see how it works without. I wonder if Packard built this type of shutter for Dallmeyer for use in process (graphics) cameras and it was found necessary to add the spring for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    It may have been added to hold the blades together when closed so that glance angle light cannot come in.
    Thanks. It looks as though it was factory fitted as it is built in the same way as the shutter and held in place with similar screws to those which hold the shutter together. That said it came off a process camera with a lens board retained by a top mounted spring, so may well have been intended to offer greater light tightness. Its just the rather too effective clamping of the spring which is the base problem, because having removed it the newly cleaned shutter works absolutely fine! Its a Packard No.6 8" square with a 4.5" diameter opening. I'll try it without the spring which I can easily refit at any time.