Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technika lens board light leak rant

Re: Technica lens board light leak rant

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Am I seeing things? It looks like your lens is mounted to the back of the board?
    It does appear to be mounted to the wrong side.

HHChapman

Time to do it right:
    I talked to SK Grimes on the phone.
    Their adapter is designed with a step (like the Ritter board in my photo) to enhance the light dam and an index for the offending slot. That should solve the problem so I have one on order.
    Thank you again for your feedback, it helped me head in the right direction.
    -Harlan

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    Am I seeing things? It looks like your lens is mounted to the back of the board? That looks like the circular light trap that's supposed to be on the back as well as the bevel at the bottom. Though this may have nothing to do with your problem.

Can someone confirm this for me?

David
    Yes, it is backward.

HHChapman

The lens board isn't backwards, see post #10.

Harlan, I really think it is not likely that the self advertizing of the Luland would be intended to be on the inside of the camera. Never say never though.

HHChapman

The "Luland" logo is on the inside (bellows side) of the lens board adapter. Odd, yes, but there it is. Note the perimter recess for fitting on to the front standard on the Luland side. The opposite side of the adapter (front) has the milled and flocked recess to take the Technica board and the hardware to hold it on.
    Your scrutiny of the post and photos is much appreciated as it makes me look and think harder myself. Thank you.
    -Harlan

Drew Wiley

I have the actual Grimes adapter board and it works perfectly on Sinar, including Norma.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Chapman View Post
    The "Luland" logo is on the inside (bellows side) of the lens board adapter. Odd, yes, but there it is. Note the perimter recess for fitting on to the front standard on the Luland side. The opposite side of the adapter (front) has the milled and flocked recess to take the Technica board and the hardware to hold it on.
    Your scrutiny of the post and photos is much appreciated as it makes me look and think harder myself. Thank you.
    -Harlan
    Why don’t you get a real Linhof board, or a Wista board or any of the other true copies? Yours is not!

HHChapman

Hello Bob,
    I think the real solution to the problem is to use a lens board adapter with a stepped center hole that acts as an effective light dam.
    My Toyo and Ritter, and Rittreck adapters are all stepped and I've not had light leaks with any of them.
    The SK Grimes Sinar to Technica adapter I have on order (to solve this problem I expect, Drew's experience reinforces that expectation) will be stepped.
    The Sinar adapter I have had the light leak problem with is not stepped. Lesson learned.
    Among others, I have Horseman, Toyo-View, a couple of nameless, and (mostly) Shenhao branded "Technica" boards. The depth of the offending slot varies even with boards of the same make. None of the offending slots on the different boards are so deep that a stepped adapter won't prevent light leaks.
    Scrutinizing photos of actual Technica boards on line leads me to believe that investing in true Technica boards and using them with a non-stepped lens board adapter won't solve the problem.
    This was worth a close look though, thank you for motivating that.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Chapman View Post
    Hello Bob,
    I think the real solution to the problem is to use a lens board adapter with a stepped center hole that acts as an effective light dam.
    My Toyo and Ritter, and Rittreck adapters are all stepped and I've not had light leaks with any of them.
    The SK Grimes Sinar to Technica adapter I have on order (to solve this problem I expect, Drew's experience reinforces that expectation) will be stepped.
    The Sinar adapter I have had the light leak problem with is not stepped. Lesson learned.
    Among others, I have Horseman, Toyo-View, a couple of nameless, and (mostly) Shenhao branded "Technica" boards. The depth of the offending slot varies even with boards of the same make. None of the offending slots on the different boards are so deep that a stepped adapter won't prevent light leaks.
    Scrutinizing photos of actual Technica boards on line leads me to believe that investing in true Technica boards and using them with a non-stepped lens board adapter won't solve the problem.
    This was worth a close look though, thank you for motivating that.
    Why not spend a pleasant day and drive over to Cameras West in Concord and take your lens and actually compare it to a real Linhof board and see how different it is?

Since the Leica Store in SF has the same owner maybe they can arrange to show one to you if you don’t want to drive across the bay. Or at Bear Zimages in SF?