Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In 2019 where are we at with drum scanners?

Re: In 2019 where are we at with drum scanners?

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Nikon Coolscan 5000 for 35mm
    For 35mm work it will perform better a cheap Plustek 8000 or 7000 series than the expensive 120, regarding resolving power. Built qulity of the 120 should be more Pro, I feel...

Then if one wants to scan LF a good combination may be a having a Plustek 8000 and a V850, this is cheaper than a single Plustek 120, you make from 35mm to 8x10", and you only have a bit less performance for MF.

Some reviews around the web are flawed, because not editing each scan to it's best, it's true that the EPSON has less automatic image enhancing and scans always need some Ps work, but this is not necessarily bad IMHO, me I prefer departing from a rawer situation.

If you see this review: https://prosophos.com/2014/02/07/eps...s-plustek-120/
    https://web.archive.org/web/*/https:...s-plustek-120/

First it happens that the images have tone, none is gray, the PLustek 120 is way better:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epson-v700-vs-plustek-120-photographs-by-peter1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	186269

But with little edition we can nearly match the results:

Name:	__scn.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	186268

Anyway if one has a lot of MF then the 120 is the dedicated tool of choice... of course.

the Coolscan 9000 still beats the Plustek in every way. Drivers are a non-issue. I am running the 9000 in a Windows 10 VM on a Mac - if it can work with that complex an environment, it can work with anything. Service: there's 3rd party servicers for these scanners, and DIY service of basic things are simple. And of course performance at scanning is far superior. It's too bad no one (particularly Nikon) has felt the need to update or better the 9000.

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    a Nikon Coolscan 5000 for 35mm work but was never totally satisfied with the results, as it does not quite get the focus right. I sent it to Nikon at the time & they said it was fine
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Service: there's 3rd party servicers for these scanners,
    A used Super 9000 ED is more than 8 years old and it can be 15. Of course if having one working nice then there is no reason to replace it, but purchasing that old electronic equipment...

A Plustek has warranty, official service and if you buy it in the web and you don't like it... then you send it back !! No questions... (see adorama return policy)

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    the Coolscan 9000 still beats the Plustek in every way.
    This is true... but best feature of the Nikon is the Scan Image Enhancer, this optimizes colours and contrast of an image for customers. This is a very Pro feature to speed up production, but a photographer may prefer the raw output and doing that manually.

Technically the 9000 (vs a Plustek) is also a better machine, but IMHO this makes a difference not often, because normally you can get little more detail in shots beyond 3500 effective dpi: It has to be a tripod shot, mirror up, with lens in the sweetest point, no DOF issues, a really sharp film and a subject with contrasty detail, a lot of requirements...

If the shake during exposure is 0.005mm you won't find any difference, any handheld shot should have more...

Then there is DMax, if wanting to recover extreme velvia shadows then the Nikon would be better... but at 3.0D both would perform, and normally a 3.0D is an accident...

Folks, diving down into the weeds on 35mm and medium format scanners is way off-topic for the Forum. If you'd like to continue, please take it to the Lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Folks, diving down into the weeds on 35mm and medium format scanners is way off-topic for the Forum. If you'd like to continue, please take it to the Lounge.
    Yes, you are right...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    AFAIK, the only "active" drum scanner maker left in the market is Aztek. And they haven't come up with a new design in quite a few years. Rumor has it sales volumes are down to the double digits. Per year. World wide.

It's not that manufacturers don't want to make drum scanners, it's that people like us did not buy new drum scanners. Without buyers....
    I could be wrong but ICG still have a presence in the market. http://www.icg.ltd.uk/

What Bruce says is very true though, what used to be omnipresent in pre-press houses and printers, graphic design studios etc is now very small niche, the realm of serious photographers and the odd print studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Darragh View Post
    I could be wrong but ICG still have a presence in the market. http://www.icg.ltd.uk/

What Bruce says is very true though, what used to be omnipresent in pre-press houses and printers, graphic design studios etc is now very small niche, the realm of serious photographers and the odd print studio.
    Yes, well, Screen in Japan might or might not be a little active too, but I'm doubtful either ICG or Screen has sold a drum scanner in years. Maybe if they have the parts they could build one for you? IDK. I'd be worried that the people who knew how to build them have long since retired or been laid off. But I think it's more like what happened to Kodak and film packs -- when the last employee that knew how to assemble them retired, Kodak quit selling film packs.

Bruce Watson

All I know is Windows 10 killed 2 of my flatbed and my plustek 35mm film scanners. I just got a V600 for christmas for 35/120. But it's all so tenuous. Kodak just came out with their new Ektachrome...but what will people be able to use to scan film in 3 years? 5 years? The outlook doesn't seem good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Bart View Post
    I haven't paid attention but has anyone developed an off the shelf way to "scan" and stitch using our digital cameras that doesn't involve jerry-rigging and a router table?
    You only need an X-Y guide, that holds the camera looking down perpendicular to the table, by hand you place the camera in the right places and you shot with a remote. Not much precision required, because Ps knows how to stitch, like with panoramas... but if you want you can draw some marks in the sliders to shot at equal distances.

A cheap way is a MP-CNC guide set (Mostly Printed-CNC) https://www.v1engineering.com/ you can 3D print the parts or to purchase a kit

Name:	20160214_123707.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	186285

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjwD5smOt38

But you don't need the stepper motors, or the electronic board... nothing, just the guides and you move the DSLR to the aprox right place by hand...

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    All I know is Windows 10 killed 2 of my flatbed and my plustek 35mm film scanners. I just got a V600 for christmas for 35/120. But it's all so tenuous. Kodak just came out with their new Ektachrome...but what will people be able to use to scan film in 3 years? 5 years? The outlook doesn't seem good.
    Digital cameras. It is fast becoming the preferred method for individual users.