Thread: Howtek 4500 - new hardware detected

Howtek 4500 - new hardware detected

Well today hasn't gone exactly to plan.
    Fired up my Howtek for the first time in a month or so and the ancient Mac OS9 running Aurora decided not to switch on. The lamp on the front of the Mac illuminated when I pressed the button but would not 'latch' on.
    So, I dug out my old PC running Windows XP, especially put to one side for this very purpose, and thought it was the prompt I needed to finally purchase Silverfast.
    I swapped over the SCSI board and fired it up, downloaded and installed the trial version of Silverfast and turned off the PC. I then turned on the scanner, turned on the PC, and I got a prompt saying "new hardware detected - Howtek"
    Now should I just ignore this prompt or is there some patch or driver I need to install? That's my first question/problem. I did download something from the Aztek site but that appears to be flash for the scanner.
    My second is that I have repeatedly encountered the blue screen of death on the PC. I managed to make a couple of nice scans this morning without a problem but later in the day this happened then happened several times more, sometimes when scanning and sometimes when the scanner wasn't even on. When the scanner was on it recorded F705 error.
    I suspect it is a PC problem but is it caused by the "new hardware detected - Howtek" issue mentioned above or is it unrelated.
    I would like to get this sorted by tomorrow as Silverfast have a 25% sale on which ends on the 8th of January so any assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks ...Sweep

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	186153

Re: Howtek 4500 - new hardware detected

Welcome to microsoft. I'd get the mac up and running again.