Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are any medium format lens circles large enought to cover 4x5?

Re: Are any medium format lens circles large enought to cover 4x5?

The 127mm f3.8 for the Mamiya RB67 covers 4x5 at infinity when I shoot it on my Tachihara 45GF. By the way the 37mm f4.5 fisheye for the RB67 doesn't cover 4x5. Tried it day before yesterday and got 80mm diameter circular images.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Hmm. 38/4.5 Biogon will do 84mm. 6x6 is its limit, but on 2x3 it offers very interesting opportunities for cropping.

Are any medium format lens circles large enought to cover 4x5?
    Horseman/Topcor 120mm (for 6x9 medium format camera) will cover 4x5 with a tad to spare.

As mentioned above, lenses that DON'T cover can still be used if one does not mind the dark corners. For example this is the Horseman/Topcor 75mm used on 4x5". The nice thing about the Horseman/Topcor 6x9cm Medium Format lenses is that they come in Seiko shutters.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finalsmall.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	186227

Some of the Fuji GX680 lenses have image circles that cover 4x5 without movements. They were designed to have substantial movements for their original 6x8 format.

The main challenge is that their shutter is electronic, so you either need to find that weird/non-standard sized Seiko #1 shutters and then struggle to loctite-glued lenses out of their mounting holes. After that though, it's smooth sailing. I have the 180mm f/3.2 mounted on my Speed Graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The nice thing about the Horseman/Topcor 6x9cm Medium Format lenses is that they come in Seiko shutters.
    The not so nice thing about those infernal objects is that they don't have cable release sockets. They rely on a cable holder that's attached to the Horseman lens board.

Some Fuji GX680 have image circles that do, since they were designed for substantial movements on on MF.

BUT, it isn't easy or simple. They use electronic shutters of the non-standard Seiko #1 variety. So first, you need to find the correct size mechanical shutter, then you need to struggle to remove cells from the original shutter (which Fuji makes extremely difficult). If you can succeed in doing both of those, you'll have some thing quite nice.

Still, if you put in the effort, the Fuji 180mm f/3.2 makes for a lovely poor man's Xenotar.

The cable release socket for the Seiko SLV is mounted on the lensboard. The OP is building a camera, I suspect he won't give up because he can't figure out how to trigger a shutter.

I bought an eBay Mamiya RB lens adapter board that enabled the shutter, put a RB 50mm on a 4x5, but got bored.

I touched the setup today, maybe next lifetime I will get back to it.
    Tin Can

I have a Mamiya 50mm f/6.3 which is designed for 6x9. I have it in a copal 0 shutter. It purported to be a similar design to the Biogon. I am setting up my 5x7 Kardan Bi to check out the image circle of many lenses for digital and film use. Hopefully I can provide answers to questions like "what is the coverage of this lens" at least for the lenses I have accumulated. I hope to have an answer for many lenses such as my Schneider 120/2 cinelux-ultra projection lens. Stay tuned, because I must drag myself away from my car building project. Too many projects in retirement!