Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wista 45VX/RF/SP bellows draw and idea

Wista 45VX/RF/SP bellows draw and idea

While I'm waiting for my Wista 45VX to slowly make its way to me through the postal system, I have a couple questions about bellows draw for people familiar with this camera.

I'd like to be able to use a 300mm lens on this camera, and possibly even longer. I understand that I will need an extension bed -- either the 460mm or 300mm, with the choice most likely depending on what I find first; these seem to be quite scarce. I also know that Wista made an extension bellows with 600mm of draw. However, I'd rather not have to get the Wista extension bellows because it's one more thing to carry.

So first question: assuming I'm using an extension bed, is there enough "stretch" in the normal bellows to allow me to get more than 300mm of draw (at the cost of limited or no movements)? If so, how much extra "stretch draw" would there be?

Second, has anyone had bellows made by one of the Hong Kong (or other) workshops out of synthetic material that (a) gives more than 300mm of draw, and (b) are thin enough that they allow the camera to be folded up normally? I've messaged one of the vendors on eBay who has a good reputation on the forum (ecbuyonline2008) to see if they think it's possible, but I would definitely prefer a second opinion, especially from someone who has actually done this already.

Rob de Loe
    Guelph, ON Canada

Re: Wista 45VX/RF/SP bellows draw and idea

No, you will also need a longer bellows, especially if you want to do movements!

A lightweight 300mm like the Nikkor M on a 50-60mm tophat extension board (going by memory here) will work fine with the normal bellows. The thinnest and best bellows I've seen are from Custom Bellows in the UK.

Joel Edmondson

My memory may be failing me here but I have used a 305mm G-Claron on my 45 SP (for sure) and it seems that I could focus the lens to about 15 feet. I didn't use it often but I did not use a "top-hat" board for certain and, while I haven't searched old posts on this forum, I distinctly remember answering this same question with specific distance measurements.

Joel

I'm trying to avoid the tophat extension board route (and also telephoto lenses). The camera does axis tilt and I'd like to be able to do that with longer lenses too. Thanks for the suggestion though.

It was too much to hope that I could eke out some extra stretch from the standard bellows! Oh well. I'll shoot the folks at Custom Bellows a note to see what they can come up with. If I have to get an extension bellows, it's probably going to be easier and cheaper to have one made. In all my searching I have only found one example that sold, and none for sale.

Dave Karp

Even if you have a longer bellows you will be limited by the mechanical limits of the camera's ability to extend. I don't think you will get what you want with just a longer bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Even if you have a longer bellows you will be limited by the mechanical limits of the camera's ability to extend. I don't think you will get what you want with just a longer bellows.
    That is why he mentioned the accessory extension bed for the Wista.

Next up I need to figure out if I can squeeze a modern longer bellows into the camera. The bellows manufacturer thinks it's possible because the materials he is using are thinner than the materials Wista originally used. That might allow for a slightly longer bellows to fit into the same volume of space occupied by the standard Wista bellows. I have to think this through some more because I could end up buying a longer bellows that doesn't allow the camera to close, and only gives me a little bit more extension.

The other option is I might just buy the longest non-telephoto lens I can use with the standard bellows and rails. I'm thinking of a G-Claron 270/9. With a flange focal length of 264mm on that lens I could focus down to 2.2m, which would be fine as I have other lenses if I need to have more magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    Next up I need to figure out if I can squeeze a modern longer bellows into the camera. The bellows manufacturer thinks it's possible because the materials he is using are thinner than the materials Wista originally used. That might allow for a slightly longer bellows to fit into the same volume of space occupied by the standard Wista bellows. I have to think this through some more because I could end up buying a longer bellows that doesn't allow the camera to close, and only gives me a little bit more extension.

The other option is I might just buy the longest non-telephoto lens I can use with the standard bellows and rails. I'm thinking of a G-Claron 270/9. With a flange focal length of 264mm on that lens I could focus down to 2.2m, which would be fine as I have other lenses if I need to have more magnification.
    The camera comes with 12” of bellows and extension. A longer bellows will not help unless you get a longer bed.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    That is why he mentioned the accessory extension bed for the Wista.
    Ah. Missed that. I went the other way. I use the top hat type boards, but I did catch that he did not want to do that.