Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on 1st lens for LF (new member here)

Re: Advice on 1st lens for LF (new member here)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I don't want to start a new thread so I will ask in this one. Is it ok to store the camera closed without a lens?
    If the lens is tiny, it might work, depending on how far back the rear elements extend. I have a Nikkor-M 200/8 that barely extends past the retaining ring that I can easily leave on when closing. I also have a Fuji 125/5.6 and Schneider Symmar-S 135/5.6 that I could probably leave on when closing, but rarely do. A 210/5.6 like you're thinking about would likely be too large.

My Ebony shipped with a protective cover (for lack of a better word) for the lensboard opening. It's not just a lensboard without a hole, it has a bit of a handle protruding from the front. I should probably take a picture and post it. I wonder why nobody else ships with something like that or sells them? A piece of cardboard or paperboard cut to size with tape on the edges to keep it from making dust would work too, assuming you have some boxes that you could cut up.
    I plan on getting a 210mm lens and I think I know which one to get but just to make sure because there are so many variants.
    Just about any 210/5.6 or 180/5.6 from Rodenstock, Schneider, Fuji, or Nikon would be just fine. You'll see some Calumet Caltar lenses. Calumet didn't make their own, they re-badged others (mostly Rodenstock or Schneider), and those can be good lenses often for a good price. For a first lens, get one with a working shutter that is free of bad scratches. A 210/5.6 or 180/5.6 will need a #1 size hole (about 42mm in diameter). The default lensboard that shipped with your camera most likely is a #0 sized hole (about 35mm in diameter). You may need to buy a new lensboard to go with your lens, and Shen Hao makes good ones, along with many other manufacturers. You'll probably eventually get another lens that can use that #0 lensboard soon enough, so keep it.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Leigh, Sinaron-S are like Sironar-N, Sinaron-SE are like Sironar-S, IIRC. SINAR nomenclature is a bit messing !!!
    OK. Thanks for the correction Pere.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks everyone again for the advice, including the links to the large format general information pages.

I'm about to buy my first lens but want to make sure I understand this correctly:

This lens:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RODENSTOCK-...cf13%7Ciid%3A1

is a rebranded RODENSTOCK APO SINARON-S lens?

So RODENSTOCK APO SINARON-S is the same thing as a APO SIRONAR-N MC lens? They are identically to each other? The guy in the above link is asking $740 for it.

Couldn't I just buy this lens https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rodenstock-...0/143079841056

for half the price and put it on a Shen Hao board? (The seller has it mounted on a 8x10 board currently). And from my understanding the following boards all work with Shen Hao?

*Linhof
    *Technika
    *Wista
    *Toyo
    *Ebony

EIDT: The seller that is selling the lens with the 8x10 board writes "I used this on my Intrepid 8x10, while it does cover without movements I got small vignetting in the corners." This is due to the fact that it's on the 8x10 camera correct? So the lens would not vignette on a 4x5 camera? Or is it a defect and it will?

Thanks everyone again for the advice, including the links to the large format general information pages.

I'm about to buy my first lens but want to make sure I understand this correctly:

This lens:

So RODENSTOCK APO SINARON-S is the same thing as a APO SIRONAR-N MC lens? They are identically to each other? The guy in the above link is asking $740 for it.

Couldn't I just buy this lens https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rodenstock-...0/143079841056

for half the price and put it on a Shen Hao board? (The seller has it mounted on a 8x10 board currently). And from my understanding the following boards all work with Shen Hao?

*Linhof
    *Technika
    *Wista
    *Toyo
    *Ebony
    Same lens, yes you can.

A Technika is a Linhof. The board your camera takes is the 45 Linhof Technika boards made from the 1950s to today for a Linhof Technika 45.

Linhof makes boards for their Technika 23, 45, 57, Kardan and M679.

So just asking for a Technika board or a Linhof board could result in your buying the wrong board. You need a modern 45 Linhof Technika board, or one of the copies.

This lens:

*Linhof
    *Technika
    *Wista
    *Toyo
    *Ebony

EIDT: The seller that is selling the lens with the 8x10 board writes "I used this on my Intrepid 8x10, while it does cover without movements I got small vignetting in the corners." This is due to the fact that it's on the 8x10 camera correct? So the lens would not vignette on a 4x5 camera? Or is it a defect and it will?
    Yes, the lenses are the same.

You could also buy this or, if you want something in newer condition: this.

That is correct, the lens has ample coverage for 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Yes, the lenses are the same.

You could also buy this or, if you want something in newer condition: this.
    Be very careful, that lens went out of production decades ago. Make them prove what they mean by “new” and where it has been for all those years!

Also, the 210 Apo Sironon S covers slightly more then 810 as it covers 75°. The Sironar N and Apo Sironar N does not cover 810 as it is a 72° design.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Be very careful, that lens went out of production decades ago. Make them prove what they mean by “new” and where it has been for all those years!

Also, the 210 Apo Sironon S covers slightly more then 810 as it covers 75°. The Sironar N and Apo Sironar N does not cover 810 as it is a 72° design.
    Good point, Bob...

The OP did state that he's bought a 4x5 camera, so it doesn't sound like 8x10 coverage is his priority. An Apo Sironar-S will also be a very expensive 1st lens...

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    An Apo Sironar-S will also be a very expensive 1st lens...
    And a very expensive second lens, and a very expensive third lens, and a very very expensive fourth lens.

Ask me how I know. I bought the whole set.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Les

Ha, just be careful what you wish for. In regard to "better" lens....that seller shows 96% pos feedback. To me that's bit of an alarm, maybe not to others (?).

Les