Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on 1st lens for LF (new member here)

Advice on 1st lens for LF (new member here)

Hello everyone, I recently bought a Shen Hao TZ 45-IIB in mint condition, it comes with a Shen Hao Lens board. Can someone please tell me how I can put a lens in the Shen Hao lens board? Also, what other lens boards fit this camera?

Re: Advice on 1st lens for LF (new member here)

Hi Hulk, and Welcome.

Large Format lens/shutters come apart to enable mounting/dis-mounting.

The rear cell unscrews from the shutter. That reveals the threaded rear throat
    of the shutter. The retaining flange screws onto that throat.

The flange has a straight protrusion that goes into the hole in the lensboard.

The large disc on the flange bears against the rear of the lensboard. It gets
    tightened using a special lens wrench that fits into the slots in the flange.
    Here's the one that I use and prefer, from B&H Photo Video*:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rodenstock_260600_Metal_Lens_Wrench_1532966923000_131992.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	186151
    Note that it has several different wrench sizes to match different size shutters.

Tighten the flange to hold the shutter in place, then screw the rear cell back on.

There are three standard shutter sizes: Copal #0, Copal #1, and Copal #3. There is no #2.
    Shutters were made by other companies, but Copal is the most popular / common / latest.

BTW... The "standard" focal length for 4x5 is 150mm. Most folks prefer f/5.6 max aperture.

- Leigh

*NB: Order the lens wrench here:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ns_Wrench.html
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Hulk, and Welcome.

Large Format lens/shutters come apart to enable mounting/dis-mounting.

The rear cell unscrews from the shutter. That reveals the threaded rear throat
    of the shutter. The retaining flange screws onto that throat.

The flange has a straight protrusion that goes into the hole in the lensboard.

The larger disc on the flange bears against the rear of the lensboard. It gets
    tightened using a special lens wrench that fits into the slots in the flange.
    Here's the one that I use and prefer, from B&H Photo Video*:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rodenstock_260600_Metal_Lens_Wrench_1532966923000_131992.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	186151
    Note that it has several different wrench sizes to match different size shutters.

Tighten the flange to hold the shutter in place, then screw the rear cell back on.

There are three standard shutter sizes: Copal #0, Copal #1, and Copal #3. There is no #2.
    Shutters were made by other companies, but Copal is the most popular / common / latest.

- Leigh

*NB: Order the lens wrench here:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ns_Wrench.html
    It no longer says Rodenstock. They are labeled Linos. They had bought Rodenstock Precision Optical several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It no longer says Rodenstock. They are labeled Linos. They had bought Rodenstock Precision Optical several years ago.
    Hi Bob,

Mine says Linos. But that image is from the B&H product page (follow the link).

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

You can also use a standard lens spanner wrench to undo the ring. It's really quite straightforward. Some people use scissors (not recommended).

Regarding lens boards, I'm pretty sure that camera uses the Linhof/Wista board. Look for the corners to be cut off at the bottom. You'll see tons of lenses for sale on the 'bay that are pre-mounted in these boards. The board for the actual Toyo 45 cameras is not compatible, but, confusingly, Toyo made a "Toyo View" board in the Linhof/Wista pattern. I've also seen Nikon lens boards in the Linhof/Wista board pattern.

Foamer

Measure the size of the hole in the lens board. Next, determine what Copal shutter fits that hole:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_board

You then look for a lens that will fit the hole. The holes are standard, but there are different sizes of lens boards. I had a Shen Hao and it took the common "Tecknika/Wista" type boards. I would suggest something like a 135mm to 180mm lens to start with. If you decide to add lenses, simply buy a lens board with the Copal size hole and you're good. And yes, you unscrew the back half of the lens from shutter to mount it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXnMaClaeXo

If you use a lens wrench be very careful to not let it slip and scratch the lens. You can sometimes loosen the rear part of the lens by simply twisting the front half + shutter.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

135mm Nikkor, inexpensive, available, nice slightly wide lens, I think it's a #1 shutter. There's a great guy on Ebay that makes wooden lens boards, any wood any camera. I bought a hardboard, painted black, Calumet CC board, predrilled with a 0 shutter hole. I've gotten boards for my Deardorff, everything fits perfectly. He's in Chicago, zbig1 ?his first name is Zbigniew. Highly recommended.
    Those old Rodenstock lens wrenches are great. One of these days I'm buying a SKG wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Bob,

Mine says Linos. But that image is from the B&H product page (follow the link).

- Leigh
    I know, I took that picture when we first introduced the wrench. It was not a fun thing to shoot. It was used for a Shutterbug Photokina wrapup edition on very short notice. That particular wrench was one of the factory’s service technician ones before we talked them into making it a regular product.

That was also when we got them to introduce their microfiber lens cloth.

I second Zbigniew on eBay for almost any lensboard. LINHOF Technika boards however are a different thing. He does make Technika to any other lendboard adapter.

I highly suggest you look carefully for a very good working shutter.

I bought a few bad shutters until I got smart...
    Tin Can