Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Advice on 1st lens for LF (new member here)

Re: Advice on 1st lens for LF (new member here)

Thanks, Bob. Larry, when I click on your link I get an error:

"you do not have permission to access this page"

Quote Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post

I wonder if new users can't view the classifieds. I thought it was only a probationary period to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I wonder if new users can't view the classifieds. I thought it was only a probationary period to post.

You have to be a member for at least 30 days to view the classifieds section.

cheers/fd

I ended up buying a Sinar Sinaron S 210mm f5.6 lens. I've been reading a lot about how to use the Shen Hao camera but one question I have is when mounting the 210 lens onto the camera, how far do I pull out the bottom? I've seen people pull the bottom of the camera out depending on the length of the lens. Is there a certain formula for this or do you just have to pull it out based on how much is in focus? Thanks.

I figured I would jump on this thread, rather than start a new one so I hope that's ok. While I wait "patiently" for my Intrepid 4x5 i have been doing my research on lenses. I plan on doing some landscape stuff along with some portraits.
    I didn't want a one size fits all lens, but rather 2 unique lenses best-suited to landscapes & portraits. Money, unfortunately, is an object so I plan on buying only 1 at a time. Based on what I have read I am leaning toward a 90mm and a 210mm, sub F8.
    I've been looking at both Nikkor and Fujinon, but I'm not locked on those if anyone can offer another suggestion.
    Am I going down the right path here or have I done the wrong research? ANY and ALL help is very much appreciated. I am new to LF, so I'm looking for good beginner lenses that will work well for me as a improve my skills over time. THANKS!

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by James Westfall View Post
    I figured I would jump on this thread, rather than start a new one so I hope that's ok. While I wait "patiently" for my Intrepid 4x5 i have been doing my research on lenses. I plan on doing some landscape stuff along with some portraits.
    I didn't want a one size fits all lens, but rather 2 unique lenses best-suited to landscapes & portraits. Money, unfortunately, is an object so I plan on buying only 1 at a time. Based on what I have read I am leaning toward a 90mm and a 210mm, sub F8.

I have both a Nikon 90mm f4.5 and a Fuji 180mm f5.6. Both are excellent. I wouldn't obsess over the two brands. Whichever one comes up with the best deal, that's the one to get. You can't go wrong with either.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The venerable Kodak Ektar 203mm f/7.7 was my favorite for many years, and is well respected by others. Later multicoated lenses will have less flare if one has to shoot into bright lights.

I ended up buying a Sinar Sinaron S 210mm f5.6 lens. I've been reading a lot about how to use the Shen Hao camera but one question I have is when mounting the 210 lens onto the camera, how far do I pull out the bottom? I've seen people pull the bottom of the camera out depending on the length of the lens. Is there a certain formula for this or do you just have to pull it out based on how much is in focus? Thanks.
    The lens will need to be 210mm from the film to focus at infinity (measured approximately from the lens board to the film plane) and farther for anything closer. So you want to extend the bellows a bit less than 210mm and then use the focus knob to fine tune the focus. That will ensure you can reach infinity focus. It really doesn't matter how you do this as long as you give yourself enough extra distance so you can focus. However I try to keep the center of mass of the camera over the center of the tripod for better balance. Play with your camera to find the ideal config that lets you quickly get the camera setup in a stable manner and allows you to still focus on closer subjects out to infinity. There's no need to mess with formulas while learning - just experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by James Westfall View Post
    I've been looking at both Nikkor and Fujinon, but I'm not locked on those if anyone can offer another suggestion.
    Am I going down the right path here or have I done the wrong research? ANY and ALL help is very much appreciated. I am new to LF, so I'm looking for good beginner lenses that will work well for me as a improve my skills over time. THANKS!
    Nothing wrong with those two focal lengths to start with. I'd get as fast of a 90mm as you can afford and are willing to carry weight wise. A 90mm f/8 will be very dim except in the center where as a 200mm f/8 will be perfectly viewable even in marginal light. A fresnel will help even out the 90mm if you do go with a slower version.

A very underrated 210mm is the Horseman Topcor 210mm 5.6, wonderful lens if you can get a clean one, and a bit cheaper than the big four. I have a super angulon 90mm f5.6 and a nikkon sw 90mm f8, the SA 90 normally stays at home and the nikkon comes with me. I use a Maxwell Screen and dont have any trouble with the 90mm f8