Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HMI or strobe for wetplate/paper negs/low iso

Re: HMI or strobe for wetplate/paper negs/low iso

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Why not try a combination?

Strobe and continuous light with a long shutter
    I've been thinking about that... I've done a few tests with just a couple continuous lights and my exposures are in the 2-8sec range. Adding strobe will give me the sharp/soft look I'm going for while making sure the exposure is enough.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aluncrockford View Post
    I suppose the best point of reference would be to cast back to the work done in the 1860's to 90's Where they was no strobe and slow film, the solution daylight, plenty of it, using blinds to shape the light. Hence the style of portraiture which was informed by the shutterspeeds. That and the fact the sitter has to keep still when you are using large format.

I would suggest that plan A would be to use daylight plan B go for HMI, the problem with hot lights is the wavelenght of the light. If it helps I have been using ilford gallerie gr 2 paper negs rated at 6 ISO deved in rodinol and they work perfectly. Shooting with both strobe and daylight I found the most consistant resuts were on strobe, which is to be expected though the quality of diffused daylight produced a better tonal range which was a lot easier to print.
    Curious about how daylight gave a better tonal range - can you talk about that a bit? I've found that i get more density with flash(when it's the same ev)...

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I've used both strobes and tungsten hotlights (fresnel) for my portraits. IMHO, strobes offer the greatest amount of flexibility. And remember, you can still soften an image with strobes. Just drag the shutter to pickup as much ambient if you want. No ambient? Remember most professional strobes have a modeling light. Therefore you could shoot with a strobe at 1 sec. shutter and pickup the modeling light after the strobe. One more vote for strobes.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    Your slow exposure is just as much made of lies and a complete fake as a shot made with strobes and nothing else. You're barking up the wrong semantic tree.

thanks for requoting me !
    as you can see, I never said it wasn't...
    yes, its ALL an illusion made up, staging, direction, misdirection, theatre, manipulation &c.

I also said instantaneous photographs look more fake to me than a long exposure.

Not sure what it has to do with semantics, it's my opinion.

nice portrait btw !

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    If you are confident of exposure, there is no brighter source than a flashbulb.
    I used bulbs when they were inexpensive and electronic flash cost $1 per WS. Now you can buy a nice 2000WS Norman P2000D used for $200, 10 cents a WS. I measured the output of a Press 25 bulb as equal to 1200 WS from my electronic flash and the big screw type, 5Bs I think they were, were very powerful. You can measure the output of flash bulbs with a corded flash meter set to the shutter speed you intend to use. Now flash bulbs are very expensive and vintage but very usable electronic flash is inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    I used bulbs when they were inexpensive and electronic flash cost $1 per WS. Now you can buy a nice 2000WS Norman P2000D used for $200, 10 cents a WS. I measured the output of a Press 25 bulb as equal to 1200 WS from my electronic flash and the big screw type, 5Bs I think they were, were very powerful. You can measure the output of flash bulbs with a corded flash meter set to the shutter speed you intend to use. Now flash bulbs are very expensive and vintage but very usable electronic flash is inexpensive.
    5 and 25 were bayonet bulbs, B meant daylight.

You could only accurately compare outputs if the reflectors cover the same angle of illumination, and WS or Joules aren’t output.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    5 and 25 were bayonet bulbs, B meant daylight.

You could only accurately compare outputs if the reflectors cover the same angle of illumination, and WS or Joules aren’t output.
    What were those big ones with the household screw base and filled with foil? When I worked on the Pacific Missile Range we had cases of them. The Navy photographers would put them in the light fixtures of a guy's room in the barracks and when he came back drunk from the club and flipped the switch he'd think we had been nuked.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    What were those big ones with the household screw base and filled with foil? When I worked on the Pacific Missile Range we had cases of them. The Navy photographers would put them in the light fixtures of a guy's room in the barracks and when he came back drunk from the club and flipped the switch he'd think we had been nuked.
    I never used them but 2 from Sylvania or 50 were 2 of the Edison screw base bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    I never used them but 2 from Sylvania or 50 were 2 of the Edison screw base bulbs.
    That's right, they were 2 and 2B types. They would also stick into a Graflex three cell flash when the bayonet socket/reflector mount was removed from the top. Those bulbs were used to photograph large groups in banquet halls by replacing some room light bulbs and flipping the switch when the shutter was opened briefly.