Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Aristo W54 Cold Head Tips?

Re: Any Aristo W54 Cold Head Tips?

Oh wow a Metrolux looks awesome! I read through the manual though and looks like it might be more cumbersome to use for timing development maybe? I use one timer for both the enlarger and development (I just turn the enlarger switch off). Makes it easy in my tiny darkroom. Apart from that though, dang that thing is cool!

I was ultimately searching for a dichro head (Super Chromega specifically) and found some but they either had the mixing chambers for 35mm only or had no mixing chambers at all and there likewise were not many options. :/

There is a Roscoe gel for 30y (or maybe the 40y). I got mine at a shop that supplies theatrical lighting. Cheap.

I am not familiar with the W54 lamp. Is this thread possibly about the Aristo V54 lamp?

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    I am not familiar with the W54 lamp. Is this thread possibly about the Aristo V54 lamp?
    Based upon the other responses, it sounds like it's the older lamp. It has a mostly white look to it to me whereas the newer lamp is much more turquoise. I wouldn't call my lamp pure white but mostly white. It does look to be clean and in good condition, though apart from the W54 marking, I can't find any date information about it.

An earlier discussion on this forum may help.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...p/t-16624.html

Hmm based on reading that and thoughts made here, it sounds like I might need this. It's cheap and based on the Roscolux swatches, it looks like it's a YEL40.

With my condensers I tend to be around a #1 filter (Ilford). I'd like to be around a #2 as a goal. $7.00 for a gel seems reasonable if it gets me there relative to what I've already paid.

I think my endgame is still an LED head or a color head (if I can find one). This is more of a stop-gap, though for how long who knows (hence why I was thinking of getting the new lamp as well).

I thought the new lamp is the V54 not V52. And not sure of the W54. Here is some info on the lamps: https://www.light-sources.com/wp-con...n_charts_0.pdf Are you sure your head doesn't have a V54 installed?

Drew Wiley

Do they still make something equivalent to the blue-green V54 light? Those are wonderful for split printing VC papers or just general VC as well as graded papers. Yellow light (in "white"light) does nothing. It just contains some useless red. The high-contrast VC emulsion sees blue, the low-contrast, green light only. All that Y or M filters do is attenuate one or the other; but you can also do it selectively with B vs G filtration. Cold lights obviously need warmup and some kind of light output monitoring, but they're proven technology and apparently still affordable.

They do! But it requires a custom order from light-sources.com at least in the case of the Aristo D2. They are $170/ea with a 5-7 week turn-around time. They won't charge you until the item has been made. I think I would prefer a color head, even if I wouldn't use the color wheels much (I prefer filters, at least for split grade that seems to be much easier than trying to dial things in) but it seems like it would avoid some of the downsides of the cold heads. Big perk of the cold head though, I hope anyway, is the lower heat will help in my small darkroom (it's a converted bathroom).

LEDs are the future though in my opinion. This post has good info on how to make one. I was thinking I might try to design a 3D printed enclosure, but I also want to look at using RGB LEDs and having a means to trigger the DC side of the power supply using a conventional timer (since triggering on the AC side causes tons of lag). It's a project that will take a while and wanted to have a means to do printing in the interim. I can use the condensers of course but I did prefer the look of my Beseler 67 (a diffusion enlarger) and it did involve a lot less having to deal with imperfections and dust.

Drew Wiley

If you get a colorhead you won't need any kind of supplementary filters. No point. I have a special high-output 12x12 V54 on one of my 8x10 enlargers; but I can do the same thing with my colorhead enlargers, plus color printing. The electronics on my old D2 Omega colorhead finally gave out, but I kept the chassis, carriers etc, just in case I might want to revive it someday.