Thread: Origin of "Nikon" Linhof style lensboard?

Origin of "Nikon" Linhof style lensboard?

Just acquired a FUJI lens that came on a "Nikon" Linhof style lensboard. Had me wondering what camera the "Nikon" lensboard came off of. Consulted my copy of The Complete Nikon System by Peter Braczko and nowhere does it mention a Nikon view of press camera and no mention of a "Nikon" Linhof style lensboard. So got me wondering just where did this OEM Nikon lensboard come from or off of. Anyone out there have an answer?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NikonLensboard.jpg  

Re: Origin of "Nikon" Linhof style lensboard?

Gently press a sharp knife against the 'Nikon' logo. Does it separate?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Just acquired a FUJI lens that came on a "Nikon" Linhof style lensboard. Had me wondering what camera the "Nikon" lensboard came off of. Consulted my copy of The Complete Nikon System by Peter Braczko and nowhere does it mention a Nikon view of press camera and no mention of a "Nikon" Linhof style lensboard. So got me wondering just where did this OEM Nikon lensboard come from or off of. Anyone out there have an answer?
    Thanks
    Nikon made large format lenses, like other lens manufacturers, they sold some lenses mounted on boards for various cameras. This is probably one of them since Linhof boards fit more cameras then any other boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Gently press a sharp knife against the 'Nikon' logo. Does it separate?
    No, definitely one in the same. Whole board pressed or casted out of one piece of metal.

What Bob said. For example, don't forget that the Wista 45RF came from the factory with the rangefinder set up for Nikkors in the supported focal lengths.

(Actually, I have some lenses cammed for my Master Technika mounted on these "Nikon" boards. )

Drew Wiley

Just typical private labeling. I've owned exactly the same model 7X gg magnifying loupe labeled, Peak, Nikon, and Horseman.

I asked about this back in December 2011. Bob Salomon's reply back then included the interesting factoid (to me anyway) that at one time Linhof sold some of the Nikon telephotos including some for use with the Technikas. See: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...686#post818686
    I have two Nikon branded Technika pattern boards (bought used). Both fit my Master Technika 3000 fine. In my experience other brands of boards as well as older Linhof made boards often require some work on the sides, e.g. light filing, in order to fit. Of course new Linhof made boards fit very nicely without work.

I've seen a Schneider branded Technika pattern board.

David