Thread: Recommendations on Delay + Long Exposure timer for shutters? Mechanical? Programable?

Recommendations on Delay + Long Exposure timer for shutters? Mechanical? Programable?

I am looking for a timer that can trip the shutter at a specified delay and then open the shutter for a specified amount of time. Ideally both the trip shutter delay and open shutter timer could be programmed anywhere from seconds to hours or even a programable time of the day (eg trip the shutter at 2100 on the 10th of January 2019 and open the shutter for 3 hrs, or close the shutter at 0000 on 11th of January 2019).

Do such devices exist?

I also noticed there were some more basic mechanical timers that would be great to get your opinions on? While they seem not to be that flexible, they might at least serve the purpose of self portrait shutter delay and potentially some longer timed exposures?

Re: Recommendations on Delay + Long Exposure timer for shutters? Mechanical? Programa

You mean an intravelometer?

Re: Recommendations on Delay + Long Exposure timer for shutters? Mechanical? Programa

Bob is right and they are made for DSLR and SLR with digital control.

For a mechanical LF shutter you need a solenoid to pull or push the shutter lever.

I use these as they are very flexible. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Add a solenoid, power supply.

I won't walk you through it, but many articles online.
    Tin Can

I'm in the "one one thousand camp" unless it's a really looong exosure. Then I use my wristwatch.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I also count, but for selfies and other situations a Haka Autoknips is cheap fun. Many other makers.

A mechanical windup self timer for cable release.

eBay is full of them like this. Haka Autoknips

I like this one.

PhotoClip by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

I build an intervalometer for my Bolex with some spare parts. Works well.