Thread: Help identifying what happened here!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Help identifying what happened here!

I was testing a new old camera that I refurbished recently and shot three images. One of them came fine, but the other two (were in the same film holder) came with some strong glare. I double check the camera for light leaks and pinhole and found nothing. Since one came out OK, I suspect the problem is with the film holder. Can you look at the three shots and give your opinion on what should I look for? Is it really defective holder, or is it something I did wrong? Thanks,Pepe

Hiking Boots by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

TestKorona by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Korona View Test by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Re: Help identifying what happened here!

#2 looks like a light leak perhaps caused when you removed or replaced the DS

Easy to do on many Korona which don't always have very strong GG springs

I hold the holder tightly against the groove side edge on any camera

Other cameras I have have way too tight GG springs and I have not fully seated the film holder more than once...

Test the holder with old film and bright light
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    ... many Korona which don't always have very strong GG springs.......Other cameras I have have way too tight GG springs...

Test the holder with old film and bright light
    That was my impression regarding the Korona GG's springs. I will be checking the holder and be more careful when removing the dark slide. In addition, I did have the sun on my back when I shot those two. I did not protect as I always try to do the camera from the direct sun light when removing the dark slide.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

I concur with Randy. It looks like you inadvertently pulled the spring back away from its seat when removing/inserting the darkslide. Pinch the spring back to the camera body with thumb and fingers of your free hand when you pull/insert the slide.

You might want to check the filmholder seat as well to make sure everything is in order there; no foreign material, baffling (if present) in good condition, and if the filmholder is seating correctly.

Best,

Doremus

Almost certainly pulling the holder away from the body while pulling or inserting the slide. Looking on image 2 if it was the leaking through the holder's light trap there wouldn't have been the shadow (unfogged area) on the edge before the fog starts.

I went out for another test and found a temporary fix to what seems to be the problem. I will be developing tonight and post results tomorrow. In the meantime, here is the temp solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190211_123008.jpg   rubberband.jpg  

Well, the issue has been addressed. Thank you Randy, Doremus and Larry. Here are some shots of my second test with the little rubber band around to give strength to the film holder. I also held strongly the back to prevent shaking and the same light leak:

jpg-CreekTree-KoronaK203-7.7-orth80-Rod by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

jpg-Tree-KoronaK203-7.7-orth80-Rod by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Wisteria Stump by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Glad you got a solution. I had same issue and it was film holder not inserted properly.