Thread: manual for the enlarger timer: Creative Phototronics Touch Timer CP900

manual for the enlarger timer: Creative Phototronics Touch Timer CP900

A search shows that another member asked the same question in 2010 without results, but I will try again.

I have acquired the above named electronic enlarger timer at a swap meet. It appears to function (focus function works, the numbers illuminate) but for the life of me I can't figure out how the various buttons work so you can set it up for proper darkroom enlarging. I am not new to DR printing and am currently using a much simpler DR timer. Does anyone have one of these and can sell me a copy of the manual or alternatively give me some instructions on how to use it. Much appreciated (and Happy New Year).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails timer.jpg  
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Re: manual for the enlarger timer: Creative Phototronics Touch Timer CP900

I am not kidding, but try a teenager that plays computer games.

They know everything...
    Tin Can

This timer is the same as the Ilford DT600. Apparently Ilford purchased CP. I found that manual on line. A teenager wouldn't figure this one out. It is designed to also use a card reader and has the ability to do muliple steps (to time the film development process also). Truly a complex little beast.
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Jim Sidinger

Frank, you are correct about the buyout. However, although the timer was originally setup for the card reader to make repetitive "Processing" procedures easier to reproduce, you do not need to use that. I've been using one (both the earlier CP product as well as the identical Ilford one) for years without it. Just follow the instructions in the manual you found and you can easily program any processing procedure in real time. You loose it when you turn off the power but it's easy to re-enter next time once you get the hang of it.

The one second 'metronome' beeps during enlarging exposure and the 30 second interval beeps during processing steps are very helpful.

The only thing that I wish they had done was allow for >9minutes 59 seconds for a processing step - as, for instance, developing HP5+ to N+1 requires. However, I have learned to use 2 consecutive time periods which add up to the time I need. And the times that I need >99.9 seconds of enlarger exposure are so few, I don't have a problem with it - again, I just program in the additional time I need after the first interval and, then, start it again.

In general, as a single basic timer for both enlarging and film/paper processing, I think it is the bee's knees.
    Best, Jim

Jim Sidinger

Oh, and in case you didn’t see it, this timer also supports a foot switch. On all of mine, it plugs into the top of the display/keypad part of the unit (not the power supply / plug connector). 2 round skinny prongs about 3/8 inch apart.
    They can be found if you look a bit in case you didn’t get one with the one you have.
    Best, Jim