Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need help to make a decision. Tomorrow, I will be buying a 4x5 camera, help me:

I need help to make a decision. Tomorrow, I will be buying a 4x5 camera, help me:

You won’t be disappointed by Chamonix. Build quality is excellent. Lots of little details you’ll appreciate over time. The ground glass cover/protector is a great detail. If you shoot wide, you’ll appreciate the ability to switch between bellows and bag bellows. carbon fiber lens plates. Extension board that allows you to shoot a 600mm tele on 4x5. Asymmetrical rear tilt and easy to use Scheimpflug principle. There’s a lot to love about Chamonix! Buy the accessories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need help to make a decision. Tomorrow, I will be buying a 4x5 camera, help me:

F2 has asymmetrical rear tilt. Which means the axis upon which it tilts is not at the center. It’s offset. The ground glass is marked where the axis lies. If you want to use the Scheimpflug principle, you focus at the axis line, then tilt until the whole glass pops into focus. Be aware there are a couple slide locks at the bottom to prevent tilt when you don’t want it. It took me awhile to discover that just feeling around with my fingers sine the slides are stiff when new.

Foamer

Re: I need help to make a decision. Tomorrow, I will be buying a 4x5 camera, help me

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Peter, does the 45N-2 have rear standard tilt?
    Yes.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: I need help to make a decision. Tomorrow, I will be buying a 4x5 camera, help me

Thanks everyone who pitched in. I think I made my decision: I am going to wait. I currently have two Calumet CC400 in excellent shape, but too heavy and bulky. I have one Super Speed Graphic, which was great when I started, but lacks movements and it is hard to shoot landscape with it. Then, I got a 4x5 Intrepid MkII that is very cute. However, it lacks movement in the rear standard and has a single knob to control tilt and raise in the front standard. It is time consuming to focus with it. I understand the MkIII has taken care of those two issues. So, I am debating if spend the $300 for the Mk III, or $1,200 for the Chamonix 45F-2. I will have to sell the Mk II. I have been testing the MkII and is nice, but looking at the Chinese made Chamonix is winning.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Yes I think so. (I don’t use it much.). I’m eight time zones away from it for another week still, so I can’t check for you. I recall that the Chamonix web site has a specification for that movement.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Pepe: you are asking the same question which triggered a long thread on cheaper tools versus expensive tools. I believe the general consensus was to buy the best you can afford, rather than cycling through a number of less expensive options. If it was me, I would keep one of your monorails, sell the other 4x5s, and buy the Chamonix. I don’t think anyone here has looked back and regretted buying the better camera (assuming they could afford it).

This has been an enlightening thread even though I've only lurked - others asked all my questions for me! I was debating between the Chamonix N and F models but have now almost committed to the 45Hs-1. Also helpful in the decision making process was this article:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.info/mono-field.html

I notice Chamonix doesn't take credit cards and that there is a 3% surcharge if paid via PayPal. I hate surcharges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelo View Post
    This has been an enlightening thread even though I've only lurked - others asked all my questions for me! I was debating between the Chamonix N and F models but have now almost committed to the 45Hs-1. Also helpful in the decision making process was this article:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.info/mono-field.html

I notice Chamonix doesn't take credit cards and that there is a 3% surcharge if paid via PayPal. I hate surcharges.
    Lelo, couple things to consider with choosing your Chamonix. But first, the 3% add-on fee... That happens to be exactly the transaction fee PayPal charges for the transaction. Most businesses roll that into the price and the customer never knows the difference. Chamonix is just being honest about passing the cost to you.

Think about the type of shooting you do as that will affect the best Chamonix for you. First, do you want to have the option use the Scheimpflug principle to create a deep depth of field without stopping down your aperture in lower light conditions? Then your two options are the F-2 and H-1. Do you expect to EVER use a heavy lens like a Schneider 90mm Super Angulon XL or any of the telefoto lenses? If so, Chamonix warns the focus mechanism on both H models will drift under the weight if the camera isn’t level, so you’re better of with F-2 or N-2 for heavy lenses. If you absolutely must close the camera with a wide lens installed instead of taking a few seconds to install one, the the H models are for you. If you want the ability to switch rear standards (at extra cost) to other film sizes, and are willing to cut your own sheet film in the dark from 8x10 then your only choice is H-1. And as stated previously, all Chamonix’s accessories are well designed and very useful. Hope that helps.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Thank you everyone. This last explanation made it possible. I just ordered the 45F-2. Thank you.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Thank you everyone. This last explanation made it possible. I just ordered the 45F-2. Thank you.
    Glad to help! You’re going to enjoy it.