Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

As per my earlier post, I just obtained a Century 10A studio camera. A Century Semi-Centennial Stand or similar would be ideal but I have not found anyone who is willing to dismantle one and ship to me.

Has anyone built a DIY studio stand that can support a Century 10A studio camera or similar? It should always be able to move the camera bed platform up and down and tilt.

Re: DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

There is a good chance that you can find schematics of the original design on the US Patten office web site. Once you have those, you should be able to figure out what modifications you would need in order to make the stand for yourself.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I have no idea how to build one yet.

But I am with you. I just bought Century Tailboard and it needs a stand also.

So let's see what we can do!
    Tin Can

Back in the 1970's, Petersen's Photographic had two books called "Photo Equipment You Can Make". The first volume had plans for a studio camera stand that was very heavily built. If you want a copy of the plans, PM with a mailing address and I'll copy the plans for you

thank you MrFujicaman. U have PM
    I found a set of photos from someone doing a semi-centennial stand restoration. Here is one of them. Is the kong pinion shaft with the brake a commercially available part?
    No 1A CENTURY - SEMI CENTENNIAL STAND DURING RESTORATION by Primo Iglesias, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    As per my earlier post, I just obtained a Century 10A studio camera. A Century Semi-Centennial Stand or similar would be ideal but I have not found anyone who is willing to dismantle one and ship to me.
    I've cooperated with two people who were reluctant to ship their 10A studio stands, and it worked out well in the end. I suggested that they contract a local shipper who would come to their home or place of business, dismantle the stand and ship it. Both stands came through delivery perfectly, and assembly was trivial. Maybe that would work for you, too.

And I built most of one from oak, but did not complete it because I got the two original stands. The parts except for the cast iron carriage are all standard American parts available today - but the crank wheels I found look different. See another recent post to find the cast iron 3" square finials.

Note that I did not even try to replicate the original. There are just too many better modern parts available.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I've cooperated with two people who were reluctant to ship their 10A studio stands, and it worked out well in the end. I suggested that they contract a local shipper who would come to their home or place of business, dismantle the stand and ship it. .
    Maybe I will try that too when the next stand come up for sale. As i am in Singapore, I will need to have it shipped to Portland where a shipping agent will shipped it back to me via sea.

Standard American parts still available today.. that is nice to know. what keywords should I look for ? I try "rack & pinion" and the search came up with lots of car steering rack and pinion mechanism.

Now the Century bi-post studio stand is a wonderful thing! Unlike the European look-alikes, which also have 2 posts and a platform, it is very easy to dismantle and ship in a flat package. These European versions have a solid wood base section.

There are parts of the Century stand which can be made as DIY projects, but the real problem would be around the up/down track and the very heavy springs giving resistance to movements. They are not as heavy duty as springs in the automotive industry - but still pretty impressive. I note that you need these up and down movements, so if you really have expertise/access to experts, you might think about about an hydraulic solution. This could be something like the 2 shock absorbers used to stabilise lifting the rear tailgate? of estate cars.

But organising a shipment is by far the best solution!

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    There is a good chance that you can find schematics of the original design on the US Patten office web site. Once you have those, you should be able to figure out what modifications you would need in order to make the stand for yourself.
    Thanks for the idea. I have found 2 of of the patents here and here. Interesting read although there are differences between the Semi-Centennial stand design and what is stated in the patents.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post

But organising a shipment is by far the best solution!
    I agree !
    But meanwhile I will keep exploring the DIY options. Maybe this scissor jack solution maybe the way to go to lift the camera up and down :