Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Developed 4 sheets of HP5-400 had issues with pinholes

Re: Developed 4 sheets of HP5-400 had issues

The issue is not standard development times, it is the extended minimal, semi-stand and stand development where the developer just sits there for long periods of time so microscopic particles will wreak havoc with the film, but for normal development and agitation cycles, the developer can never sit long enough to cause an issue.

I am going to buy the raw chemicals and start making my own since I can then mix a batch for use prior to a session with any leftovers getting flushed. The air is so dry in AZ as well, that I think it causes the mixture of B to oxidize quicker and dry out quicker. But I only mix the solution no more than 10 minutes or so prior to use and check for any particles. The last image above with white dots there were no visible particles in the solution or any of the chemicals/water for that matter.

Will get some lye soon and give it a shot.

Let me know if you want to try my formula. Water-based and catechol/metol for better shelf life. My formula is based on maximum synergy between the metol/chatechol where pyrocat was tuned to a curve. I use mine divided and lasts 6 months to a year in that mixed state.

Forgive me as I've only glanced at the posts.

I see your bottles have a "142" marked on it.I just finished up a 500 mL set that I bought last year - number was 186. My new batch I haven't used is 192. I have the Glycol version.

I specifically asked for a fresh-mixed batch on my notes from PF, after hearing of esearing's problem. I like the Glycol version for long-term use and have had 0 issues.

I am about to develop some more film, so, will update soon. Currently doing a clip test on some developer.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Follow-up: negatives are hanging to dry and look immaculate. If your Pyrocat is bad I would talk to PF about when it was mixed. I found my old 100 mL set and it was marked 180-something, and I looked up THIS post from esearing about a bad batch of Pyrocat a little while ago, where he mentions it was #188.

I don't know how their numbering system works so can't say for certain that yours is older or newer, but all of my Pyro and Eric's too seem to be pretty close in number, while yours is way lower number.

I continue to have no problems with liquid, Glycol-based Pyro from PF. I used the last batch down to literally the last drop.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Follow-up: negatives are hanging to dry and look immaculate. If your Pyrocat is bad I would talk to PF about when it was mixed. I found my old 100 mL set and it was marked 180-something, and I looked up THIS post from esearing about a bad batch of Pyrocat a little while ago, where he mentions it was #188.

I don't know how their numbering system works so can't say for certain that yours is older or newer, but all of my Pyro and Eric's too seem to be pretty close in number, while yours is way lower number.

I continue to have no problems with liquid, Glycol-based Pyro from PF. I used the last batch down to literally the last drop.
    I will certainly check that out in email to them.

Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    Let me know if you want to try my formula. Water-based and catechol/metol for better shelf life. My formula is based on maximum synergy between the metol/chatechol where pyrocat was tuned to a curve. I use mine divided and lasts 6 months to a year in that mixed state.
    I'd like to try it, Peter.

MCAT 'A'

Mix in order. May not be absorbed otherwise.

70 mil dist water
    pinch of sodium sulfite
    1.5 g metol
    6 g catechol
    25 g sodium sulfite
    distilled water to 100 ml for concentrate or 1000 ml for divided use.

Part B

70 ml distilled water
    10 g sodium hydroxide (lye)
    distilled water to 100 ml

In concentrate, I use 1:1:75 with a start time of about 7 mins. Adjust the contrast by changing the concentration of the B.

In divided (what I actually use) I soak part a for 5 mins, dump back for re-use and don't rinse, and then 1:150 of the B for about 7 mins. You can adjust the contrast with changing the concentration of the B.

The divided (unlike pyrocat) will give you 6 months to a year of life. It actually tends to last longer than the concentrate. Because it's re-used, it will get discoloured by the dye. Do a quick test with a clip of film. Let it soak (lights on) for 5 in A and then watch it turn black in B.

My tank takes about 700 ml to fill. I mix up 2 l of A. When it get's low enough, I mix up a half batch and top it up.

Don't be shy with a coffee filter with the A divided, as crap from the film will build up over time.

This formula is about 5 years old now and is as stable as it's going to get. The formula is doing what I wanted it to do.

If you do get uneven development, presoak is the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    MCAT 'A'

Mix in order. May not be absorbed otherwise.

70 mil dist water
    pinch of sodium sulfite
    1.5 g metol
    6 g catechol
    25 g sodium sulfite
    distilled water to 100 ml for concentrate or 1000 ml for divided use.

Part B

70 ml distilled water
    10 g sodium hydroxide (lye)
    distilled water to 100 ml

In concentrate, I use 1:1:75 with a start time of about 7 mins. Adjust the contrast by changing the concentration of the B.

In divided (what I actually use) I soak part a for 5 mins, dump back for re-use and don't rinse, and then 1:150 of the B for about 7 mins. You can adjust the contrast with changing the concentration of the B.

The divided (unlike pyrocat) will give you 6 months to a year of life. It actually tends to last longer than the concentrate. Because it's re-used, it will get discoloured by the dye. Do a quick test with a clip of film. Let it soak (lights on) for 5 in A and then watch it turn black in B.

My tank takes about 700 ml to fill. I mix up 2 l of A. When it get's low enough, I mix up a half batch and top it up.

Don't be shy with a coffee filter with the A divided, as crap from the film will build up over time.

This formula is about 5 years old now and is as stable as it's going to get. The formula is doing what I wanted it to do.

If you do get uneven development, presoak is the cure.
    Interesting. How much is a pinch?

A pinch is an amount you can hold between your thumb and pointer finger. It's a small amount to prevent the metol from oxadizing too quickly and aids in the mixing. Too much ss will actually prevent the other ingredients from dissolving.
    Last edited by mrred; 9-Jan-2019 at 15:07. Reason: never post on a phone

Why not stick with Sandy's formula? Going to metol puts you in the sights of Metol Reaction - that hits some after awhile. Going along just find and then it crops up. Why push your luck - go with what Sandy King came up with and many use successfully.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.