Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Developed 4 sheets of HP5-400 had issues with pinholes

Developed 4 sheets of HP5-400 had issues with pinholes

Fresh developer across board, distilled water, fresh everything. Same image 4 times. Wanted to see differences in developer/method.

Sheet 1, Tmax developer 1:9, 14 min at 24C. Came out ok.

Sheet 2, Pyrocat HD 2:2:100, 10 min at 22C, white pinholes everywhere, fuzzy, bad

Sheet 3, Pyrocat 2-bath, 1:1:15 7 min in A, 7 min in B at 20C, fuzzy, black pinholes all over, plus white pinholes

Sheet 4, minimal agitation in Pyrocat HD at 20C,1:1:175, 60 min development, streaks in highlight areas (dark areas of neg), white pinholes in dark areas of neg and elsewhere, black pin holes all over as well.

All Pyro was fresh mixed from stock solution ordered from photographers formulary just a few months ago. First time I used Pyro from this batch I got pinholes but not bad. These 3 sheets developed with Pyro are really bad. Is it possible the Pyro stock solutions are just bad? I made sure we'll mixed prior.

The Tmax developer sheet looks good. The others would be good except for the fact they look like Swiss cheese.

SP-445 used to develop.

Here is the typical HP5-400 developed with Pyro. Same regardless of method.

2nd is Tmax developer, no pinholes.

All images are identical in capture, only difference is developer. My guess is the Pyro is bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 634B4F85-2BBB-4FA6-987D-4447FEE9368D.jpg   68229A1C-03E4-4FBC-9F01-012B5C31000A.jpg  

Re: Developed 4 sheets of HP5-400 had issues

I am kinda bummed by the pinholes on the minimal agitation image. I like the way the fire was rendered as you can see in the picture. Could have either had a bit stronger solution or developed for a while longer to habe further developes the shadows though. This exercise was to get a feel for the different techniques and developers. Once I figure pinhole and streaking out I will redo a set of images and redo this exercise. From here figure out what technique I prefer for a given scene. I definitely see potential for minimal agitation, then 2-bath and finall bleachin (which can be used with color negatives).

I may start buying pyro in powder form or mixing my own.

Mix the Pyrocat HD from scratch rather than getting if from Formulary. You will most likely get better results.
    Hope you have better luck getting them to replace it/make good than some of us have had.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Pyro sounds bad to me. there should be a sticker on the bottle with the batch number. Send it to Bud and ask for mix date. If more than 4 years old it will start to degrade quickly. I am having better luck with the powder version from B&S so far.

With minimal agitation and pyro, presoak 5 mins and use a long initial gentle agitation for 2-3 minutes. water stop bath.

Pinholes if not dust are a mystery. Modern films should not have the problem from chemicals we use.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Before you blame the pyro its probably the sp445...maybe developer is not getting to the film
    I have had similar issues with tray development my xtol negatives come out perfect..pyro may get a scratch or 2 but I only blame myself..good luck figuring it out

Personally I would advise just one developer process when you are first starting off. Learn how to make perfect negs first with experience you can test further... Just my 2 cents

We had a word to describe your results in the custom labs I worked at . This problem is defined as OE.

Not the SP. I have done this for a while. The Tmax ones were perfectly fine. But the pyro ones had the damage so it is the pyro. All from same night. I haven't had this before even with pyro. I will try to find out mix date and get powder from now on.

Steven: When you get the information on production dates, which will give an indication of shelf life, please post it, as well as whether yours was the Pyrocat in Glycol (longer shelf life) or Pyrocat in Water (shorter shelf life). Useful information for those like me who are using Pyrocat.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Personally I would advise just one developer process when you are first starting off. Learn how to make perfect negs first with experience you can test further... Just my 2 cents

We had a word to describe your results in the custom labs I worked at . This problem is defined as OE.
    +1

Steven, I have seen something similar (white specks) when I didn't mix the pyro formula completely--mostly, I've had this issue with 510-pyro which is a b***h to mix--leaving minute hard particles of one of the chemicals. You may or may not even be able to see this in the Pyrocat you have. That said, I'd highly recommend mixing your own, if you continue on with Pyrocat-HD. I mix mine in glycol and have never had an issue since I started mixing from scratch. If you decide to mix your own, make sure you follow careful procedures--respiratory mask, gloves, etc.