Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Focus a View Camera Part II

Re: How to Focus a View Camera Part II

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    According to Euclidean Geometry two unique points determine a line and three a unique plane in space. Suppose you have a high-end view camera such as the Toyo Robos, GX, or Sinar P, PII that provide for both base and/or axial tilts and wanted to set-up a unique plane of focus in space. How would you proceed? Would you determine the line of focus using base tilt, axial tilt, a combination thereof, or something else? What about those points falling in the foreground or background of the plane that you also want to be in focus?

Thomas
    Mr. Merklinger writes in "Focusing the view camera", S. 6, about Scheimpflug rules:

Given J as "the height of the lens above the [intended] plane of sharp focus" and f as the focal length of the lens, then the inclination angle α of the lens is "α = arcsin (f/J)".

With a clinometer (e.g. a compass like the Recta DS 50G, Suunto PM 5 or a smartphone app) held on the front of the lensboard you can tilt to achieve the desired angle.

Then you increase DOF by changing the aperture diaphragm.

Merklingers figures show an axial tilt, eg. figure 5 and figure 23.

I think it could be difficult to mesure the height of the lens above the intended plane of sharp focus. Of course, you can make a drawing. Then you will have to mesure every distance. This is really a lot to do.

As a standard situation to avoid too much measuring you can make a proposition that this height J should be the height of the lens above the bottom on which your tripod stands.

This means that your plane of sharp focus begins right under your lens.

But this also means that you will have to tilt perhaps more than you initially intended. This means that perhaps you will lose far away details out of sight, excluding them from the picture.

It depends on the height of your tripod, too.

Another problem is the image circle. I think you will have to lower the front standard. Perhaps a base tilt could help.

But: you would be able to indicate the presumed "ideal" angle of front standard inclination on the lensboard then ...

Regards

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Merklinger didn't use a high end view camera that had both axial and base tilts so he wouldn't know.

Thomas

Merklinger didn't use a high end view camera that had both axial and base tilts so he wouldn't know.

Thomas
    Gertrude Stein : "A tilt is a tilt is a tilt is a ..."?

With front base tilt or axial tilt (my camera has both) the focal point, in my experience, usually shifts as the movement is made. So I would have one hand on the focus and another doing the tilt. A little practice and the appropriate focal plane can be produced. Since any movement of the lens, moves the camera position in space, some re-composing might be in order.

I look at the ground glass and try to get it right as I finalize the composition. Use of a loupe helps at times. All the math, geometry and whatnot may help some but gives me a headache. When it looks right I put the film holder in and trip the shutter.

If you check the front page of this website you will find some articles on focusing the View Camera.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

When applying tilts and swings to change the position of the plane of sharp focus in the scene, the only thing that matters to the film (and the final image) is the relative positions of the camera back (read the film itself) and the front standard (lens position and orientation).

How you arrive at that depends on the adjustments available to you on the camera you have and your competency and familiarity using them. Period.

Asymmetrical swings might be nice, but you don't really need them. Same with axis, base and asymmetrical tilts. You can easily accomplish the same thing with any of them if you know what you are doing. Yes, some of the advanced features make life easier when you have to apply movements a lot, especially for table-top or close-up work, but that's largely just a savings of time.

I'm not really sure what the OP is after here... If he just wants to know what approach others use and how, then we're not answering the question.

I can't either, if that's the case, since I don't use "high-end" cameras; they're to heavy for my applications. I've mastered base tilts and axis swings, that's enough for me. Heck, the only thing I'd really like to add to my lightweight wooden folders is geared rise/fall... It's always a royal pain getting the lens position exactly right with "manual" rise.

Best,

Doremus

Thomas
    Hello,

today I tried a Mamiya Press 23 G - the one with the Graflok back and the possibility to tilt and swing the back. I thought: Ok, I don't have a Sinar, but this Mamiya 23 G has a base tilt on the front, the ballhead axis, and an axis tilt on the extendable rear standard.

I was in our local botanical garden and photographed plants, as usual.

In the long run, in the end, I presetted the focus on the lens to have some tolerance to focus a little bit. Somewhere in the middle, 2m.

Then I extended the back by pulling every corner of the groundglass separately until this part of the picture was sharp or unsharp, as I wanted it to be.

I didn't focus with the lens (front) - I pulled the parts of the picture into focus like smoothing a tablecloth or stretching a canvas.

Perhaps the conventional concept of focusing with the lens is too predominant (because most cameras are constructed in this way).

Perhaps the Sinar Norma with its base tilt on the front and his axis tilt on the back already showed the solution. With the later Sinars one can also use base tilt on the front and axis tilt on the rear standard.

It is very intuitive. there is no science at all. You set the picture, then you organize the focus in every corner, thats it. No Scheimpflug angles or planes etc.

This is also very instructive: pulling away the darkcloth an seeing the final movements you organized intuitively to get your intentions (un)sharp ...

Until now, I didn't realize this possibility to act like that, because normally I use cameras like the Wista 45N without such movements of the back.

So, your question how to focus a view camera gets another answer.

Regard