Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 models?

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Re: Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 mode

Hi Andy, welcome. I have been doing the same for a while and ordered the Chamonix 45F-2 yesterday. I found that it has one more movement (asymmetrical I guess) in the rear standard and double knobs to control front standard axis tilt and raise/fall. Other than that, it is about the same. Price wise, the N2 is $120 cheaper. Nico at Youtube promotes these cameras. You can see his videos in Youtube here too. I have not seen him promoting the N2, someone else is doing that. Curious.
    Last edited by pepeguitarra; 6-Jan-2019 at 22:36.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Re: Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 mode

Quote Originally Posted by David Rheubottom View Post
    Hi Andy, and welcome. I have a Chaminox 045-2 which replaced a very heavy and unwieldy MPP VII. It is a bit "fiddly", but the fiddlyness makes me slow down and concentrate -- which I think is a plus. The 45-F2 which has separate knobs for rise/fall and tilt would be an advantage over my 45. What might appear as an additional knob to fiddle with, would actually make setting up and adjusting easier. For what it is worth, I have a 90mm Rodenstock Grandagon, 210mm Fujinon-W, and a 300mm Nikkor-M. But my great love is a Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Symmar which I use for about 95% of my work. If I didn't have it, I could happily get along with just the 210 Fujinon (although it is a bit heavy). All of my lenses were purchased on eBay and, by taking due care over description and seller, I've not had problems. Finally, this may sound sappy, but the damned Chaminox is just a beautiful piece of equipment and beautifully made, and pride of ownership is, for me, part of the pleasure of photographing with it. Somehow it adds to my sense of craft. As a fellow Hasselblad owner, you will probably know the feeling. Cheers, Dave
    Thank you David. And that's not sappy at all. I do enjoy my Leica, Hasseblad and bamboo fly rods immensely, as well as vacuum tube stereo gear, my German car with six cylinders laying flat instead of in a V, and a fine Italian double shotgun for grouse hunting. At some point in life it's not about the end result but also about the joy of using the tool to produce the end result : ) And hell, if it makes you smile it's worth is. And pride of ownership is very much a real thing. It means you'll care for it and most likely pass it on. I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    Can I ask a related question that is stupid right now? I will order a few Chamonix lens holders (not cheap) but does any 4x5 lens holder work? Any advice here? I should probably start standing on my head and look into a mirror to watch TV to get ready to re-learn the view I'm going to get.
    Word of caution here - while the Chamonix lensboards are lighter (and expensive), they don't always work when tried on another camera like the Shen Hao. So if you end up using the same lenses on a different camera (e.g. 8x10) you are better off using a Linhof style board.

From one Andy to another, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    From one Andy to another, welcome!
    Hello Andy! Would love to visit BC to do some steel head fishing by the way : )

Just to chime in, I ordered my 45F2 from Hugo in December. I've only brought it out a few times so far but it's a joy to use! I have an Intrepid 4x5 as well (my first LF camera) and while I still love it and will take it on backpacking trips, the 45F2 is quite the step up. I had a hard time trying to compare all the available camera options so I made this Google Spreadsheet to help. The raw specs don't tell the fully story but it definitely helped.

Very glad I chose the 45F2. It's fairly precise (the screw focus is awesome), the GG is fantastic over my Intrepid, though it is heavier (that's why for hardcore backpacking I'll stick with Intrepid). An absolute joy. I picked it over the H2 because I still wanted a folder and liked the design of the F2 a bit better. There is no right or wrong answer, it's personal choice and that may require some trial and error. I know folks few cameras as just a tool, but it's still an extension of you so I do consider it a bit of a journey.

In fairness, there are two things I don't like about the F2 - it's bellows are not IR safe (but you can replace them if you do lots of IR, or supposedly just covering the bellows with your darkcloth may work well enough for say Rollei IR film) and the front lens clips could be easier to engage. On the Intrepid it's very easy, on the F2 it's something you need to deliberately do and check to make sure you did it right (don't ask me how I know). Otherwise, it's such a fun camera. I've been taking the 4x5 where I probably shouldn't be taking a big camera just because it's so fun to use.

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    The asymmetrical movement of the back standard are also a specialty of the F-line, but that was not what I meant with the link to the photo. I’m not a teacher in viewcamera’s, neither is my english excellent, but what I meant is the following: there is a line on the groundglass at about 1/4 from the bottom. If your focusplane in the subject is on that line, the movements guided by the bended rail (light grey knob on the photo) will not change the focus point on that line.
    The asymmetrical movements of the backstandard are more meant for arty effects in perspective if I’m not mistaken. But I’m eager to learn better if I’m wrong here.

Asymmetrical camara movements are explained here: http://www.mr-alvandi.com/downloads/...el-cameras.pdf
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Thank you m00dawg. I paid for the F2 this morning and after a lot of help here decided on that model. I got a super clean (read "mint") Nikkor W 210 f 5.6 from Japan and eight almost new Fidelity film holders just last Friday from Ebay. All that for $325 total. Got the Rodinal, the 455 tank...etc waiting. Hugo said that 90% of people get the Fresnel lens so I got that, one lens board, red universal bellows and the folding viewer with carbon cover. I have a multitude of backpacks which should work, and I think I'm set with my tripod. THE FILM HAS BEEN ORDERED. Darn, this camera can't get here soon enough. In the meantime if we get the snow they're promising looks like i'm getting on my snowshoes with my Hasselblad this weekend for some snow shots. And then this, from my wife..."I don't get it. You have such nice new cameras why do you want something that uses film and is ugly and looks like it is from the Old West??" Hopefully I can make an image or two to show her why. You folks have been a great help, I hope I don't embarrass myself with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by m00dawg View Post
    Just to chime in, I ordered my 45F2 from Hugo in December. I've only brought it out a few times so far but it's a joy to use! I have an Intrepid 4x5 as well (my first LF camera) and while I still love it and will take it on backpacking trips, the 45F2 is quite the step up. I had a hard time trying to compare all the available camera options so I made this Google Spreadsheet to help. The raw specs don't tell the fully story but it definitely helped.

Very glad I chose the 45F2. It's fairly precise (the screw focus is awesome), the GG is fantastic over my Intrepid, though it is heavier (that's why for hardcore backpacking I'll stick with Intrepid). An absolute joy. I picked it over the H2 because I still wanted a folder and liked the design of the F2 a bit better. There is no right or wrong answer, it's personal choice and that may require some trial and error. I know folks few cameras as just a tool, but it's still an extension of you so I do consider it a bit of a journey.

In fairness, there are two things I don't like about the F2 - it's bellows are not IR safe (but you can replace them if you do lots of IR, or supposedly just covering the bellows with your darkcloth may work well enough for say Rollei IR film) and the front lens clips could be easier to engage. On the Intrepid it's very easy, on the F2 it's something you need to deliberately do and check to make sure you did it right (don't ask me how I know). Otherwise, it's such a fun camera. I've been taking the 4x5 where I probably shouldn't be taking a big camera just because it's so fun to use.

Hi m00dawg: Thanks for your comment and your spreadsheet. I am surprised you did not include the shen hao 4x5 hzx-iia camera in the analysis. That is one camera I really like, except for the 2 extra pounds over the Chamonix 45F2. I recently got the Chamonix 45F2 and agree that it is a jewel to use. I wish it had the style of the Shen Hao 45hzx-iia, so I don't have to chase a hole to screw the front standard. I am very happy with the Chamonix, but I do miss the Intrepid 45 MkII. It does not have rear std movements or separate control for the rise/fall and tilt in the front, but its weight (or lack of it) makes up for its use. Having two other 45 (Calumet C400 gray and black), I can tell you that the Chamonix has a fine finish, that it is a pleasure to use.

I can answer the Shen-Hao thing - it was mostly being a little over-loaded with all the options So I decided to focus on ones that were similar in price/weight was the only reason you don't see them there. It's a public spreadsheet though so feel free to add! I'll say to Shen-Hao also makes gorgeous cameras and I was leaning that way too. I want Chamonix in part because I bought their holders about six months ago and was captured by their beauty and function. They're my favorite holder now (but I still have plenty of Fidelity and others). I also missed cameras from other brands as well (if I coudln't find a lot of specs on a particular camera I also tended not to include it).

I love my MK2 - it got my into 4x5! But the 45F2 is like night and day. My MK2's GG is just not nearly as good (even with a fresnel) and I have some light leaks in the corners where the bellows meet the rear standard I need to silicon shut. I think it's what was giving me an occasional green casted color negative (so red after inversion). I had been chasing that for quite some time. I'm gonna keep it though because it's fun to use and my first and it's crazy light - big difference just between the F2 and it which I'm sure you noticed to. I also like how it smells more than than 45F2 which is a silly thing to say but even so...

I've produced images I like from both of them so can't go wrong. Oh but I have to say now that I have rear movements, danm that's fun! If you look at the spreadsheet, I put the MK2 and MK3 on there and when you compare the MK3 to the 45F2, on paper, there is some extreme value there (since the MK3 can do some rear movements). I'd still prefer the 45F2 in build quality but MK3 packs a ton of camera into a low price point. Kudos for Intrepid for making it so much easier to get into 4x5 for folks!