Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 models?

Foamer

Re: Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 mode

It looks to me that the major differences are: (1) the H can accept three different rear standards 4x5, 4x10, 5x7 (2) H is a little heavier (3) H requires two hands to focus if camera bed is not level (4) the H can be collapsed with a small/wide lens attached but the lens/lens board must be removed from the F to fold it up. (5) the F will fold down flat into a very compact shape for easier packing but the H can only have the front & rear standards pushed tightly together (making a "T" shape for packing.) The advantage of the F is it folds up more compactly. The advantage of the H is it would be faster to set up.

All in all, I think for general photography the F is a better bet. I doubt that you'll be buying new bellows, film holders and backs to take advantage of the H camera system. And really, the N series will likely do all you need for that matter. It's very similar to the F. I haven't felt the need to switch to either F or H.

H camera:
    http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/_images/045H-2.jpg

F camera:
    http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/_images/045F1c.jpg

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 mode

Hello Andy, wellcome! The most important difference is that the F2 has this: http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/_images/045F1f.jpg. It works a bit faster/easier because it can retain the focus plane with certain perspective corrections. It’s explained at the site, but Hugo Zhang will be glad to explain it to you if you mail him. Thus far I never used this extra possibility, I own the F2 for over a year now. I was a bit quick in ordering the F2, but now I sometimes regret not having bought the H because you can expand it to 5x7 or 6x17, which is a nice option. It’s 300gm heavier though which is equal to an extra lens in my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    But what I can't figure out from the website is what the practical differences are between the N2 and F2?
    Others have already commented on the rear asymmetric tilts on the F2*, but another feature that was added to the F2 line (and not yet the N line, unless I'm mistaken) is having seperate knobs on the front standard for rise/fall and tilt.

I'd recommend it for that feature alone. Note that the seperate knobs are also a feature on the 45H line, if the non-folding option appeals to you.

* just checked and nobody actually mentioned it by name, but it's the feature otto.f is referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by rohanbassett View Post

* just checked and nobody actually mentioned it by name, but it's the feature otto.f is referring to.
    The asymmetrical movement of the back standard are also a specialty of the F-line, but that was not what I meant with the link to the photo. I’m not a teacher in viewcamera’s, neither is my english excellent, but what I meant is the following: there is a line on the groundglass at about 1/4 from the bottom. If your focusplane in the subject is on that line, the movements guided by the bended rail (light grey knob on the photo) will not change the focus point on that line.
    The asymmetrical movements of the backstandard are more meant for arty effects in perspective if I’m not mistaken. But I’m eager to learn better if I’m wrong here.

It's all coming into focus now (pardon the pun) and I can't thank you folks enough. I was lucky enough to study with Leslie Stroebel at RIT even though I was biomedical photography, dumb enough to have gotten rid of his book, all of my notes, and a few photographs he had given me (well, I lost those in a flood). While the H is certainly appealing, without even looking into it, buying a new rear back, bellows and film holders probably won't happen. I could see me jumping to 8x10. Even though I'm physically fit and 54, and a pound here or there isn't anything, as the years go on those pounds somehow increase in weight and in my later years I'd like to still be able to carry this gear. Since most of this will be hiking/landscape, weight and portability is important and for those reasons i think the F is the wiser choice for me. Gonna get past the holidays and get one ordered I believe. Now....to tell the wife or not tell the wife?

Tell the wife.

Buy from Hugo Zhang not the eBay seller.
    Tin Can

F2 is the way to go IMHO, unless you want to expand into different formats. I have had the N1 and now the F1. Folding is worth it to me because of the small package and the relative easy of set-up regardless.

Also I think all the Chamonix with standard bellows can easily do 450mm with the optional bed extension. Bit it makes the camera a wind sock and I hardly use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It's all coming into focus now (pardon the pun) and I can't thank you folks enough. I was lucky enough to study with Leslie Stroebel at RIT even though I was biomedical photography, dumb enough to have gotten rid of his book, all of my notes, and a few photographs he had given me (well, I lost those in a flood). While the H is certainly appealing, without even looking into it, buying a new rear back, bellows and film holders probably won't happen. I could see me jumping to 8x10. Even though I'm physically fit and 54, and a pound here or there isn't anything, as the years go on those pounds somehow increase in weight and in my later years I'd like to still be able to carry this gear. Since most of this will be hiking/landscape, weight and portability is important and for those reasons i think the F is the wiser choice for me. Gonna get past the holidays and get one ordered I believe. Now....to tell the wife or not tell the wife?
    Good choice then!
    Yes tell the wife. I did and it was wellcomed by her because she liked it in our interior, especially with the red bellows.

Foamer

Now....to tell the wife or not tell the wife?

I always tell my wife...........when she finds it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!