Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 models?

Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 models?

I'm new here and great forum, just found it! By way of short history, some 30 years ago studied photography at RIT, used their LF cameras, up to 8x10 and now years later I'm an optometrist and still active with my photography for fun. Nikon D810, Leica M2 and Hasselblad 500 C/M are main tools. Am getting back into developing film now and have a v850 Pro scanner which gives modestly good results for me. I do hybrid, as I sold all my enlarging stuff years ago (I know, I know...) But now after finally slowing my shooting down with MF film and enjoying the process more than ever, I have the LF bug (insert eye roll guy here). Have been spending hours on the net, and pretty much decided a Chamonix 4x5 is for me. I'd like to buy new. But what I can't figure out from the website is what the practical differences are between the N2 and F2? This will be primarily field work, and I imagine a 90 and 150 lens for landscapes (don't do much else but dabble in street photography with the Leica). The weight is about the same between the two and tilt/shift the same as well. Lenses will be purchased used. I am open to other cameras but I believe you should shoot what looks nice to your eye and the Chamonix in wood appeals. Thank you, in advance. Andy

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Brand Spanking New Here...

Hello, Andy. Welcome!

Re: Brand Spanking New Here...

Hi Andy, welcome!

I am looking at the 4X5 H2 models.

As I find folding a problem.
    Tin Can

Re: Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 mode

Welcome, Andy!

Re: Brand Spanking New Here... what are practical differences among Chamonix 4x5 mode

Wow! Thank you everyone. Didn’t even consider the non folder because I planned on putting it in a photo backpack. Wish I could see one in person.

Foamer

I have the 45n and really like it. It's a folder and folds up very compactly. These were designed as backpacking cameras. I easily used a Nikon 90mm f4.5 on it, and also Rodenstock 135mm f5.6, Fuji 180mm f5.6, and now a Nikon M 300mm f9. It's a very versatile camera. It will take lenses out to 300mm and maybe beyond, but since it's so lightweight I don't suggest the big Copal 3 300mm f5.6 lenses for that. I've been using this camera for ten years and am quite content with it. I'll add that I had the misfortune to find out that Chamonix customer service is first rate on getting replacement parts. As for your question, one of the differences in models is base tilt vs. axis tilt on the front standard. Mine has axis tilt and I've not been hindered by that.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PipoonS.jpg   AnnieChamPetz62s.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I bet someone near you has one that you can look at.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hi Andy, and Welcome Aboard.

Where are you located?
    You might add that to your profile so it shows up on every post.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Hi Andy, and Welcome Aboard.

Where are you located?
    You might add that to your profile so it shows up on every post.

- Leigh
    Done! Upstate NY below Syracuse near the Binghamton area. The land of rain and clouds and high taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have the 45n and really like it. It's a folder and folds up very compactly. These were designed as backpacking cameras. I easily used a Nikon 90mm f4.5 on it, and also Rodenstock 135mm f5.6, Fuji 180mm f5.6, and now a Nikon M 300mm f9. It's a very versatile camera. It will take lenses out to 300mm and maybe beyond, but since it's so lightweight I don't suggest the big Copal 3 300mm f5.6 lenses for that. I've been using this camera for ten years and am quite content with it. I'll add that I had the misfortune to find out that Chamonix customer service is first rate on getting replacement parts. As for your question, one of the differences in models is base tilt vs. axis tilt on the front standard. Mine has axis tilt and I've not been hindered by that.

Kent in SD
    Thank you Kent. Unless I'm missing something it looks like the F2 and H2 both have axis tilt?? I'm still not sure what the differences really are in these cameras (F and H). Sorry.