Thread: How to make a reducing back for a Deardorff Studio

How to make a reducing back for a Deardorff Studio

Have 8x10 studio but would like to use V8 backs I already have. Any leads for sourcing hardware for building my own reducing back? or perhaps someone has the reducing back, even if for 11x14, I can make it work. I have the outer frame with inner opening for 8x10, I just have no way of securing anything onto it.

Illustrations of what I'm looking for:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	185767

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	185768

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 1.27.30 AM.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	185769

Re: How to make a reducing back for a Deardorff Studio

I cannot say I totally understand what you want to do, but the V8 back is a little smaller that the Studio back in its narrow dimension. If you are trying to use a V8 set of three backs(8x10, 5x7, 4x5) reversibly, then I have no ideas. I would be looking for three sets of Studio 8x10 frames and glueing the V8 backs onto them. You could also build up the width of the V8 backs and move the pins outwards, to make them studio sized.
    Catlabs on ebay has corners brackets the can be made the same as what you have circled in the picture two. Picture one could be easily fabricated by any metal worker. Do iix14 backs reduce to Studio 8x10 or V8x10. If the former then you are no farther ahead (and I hate the thought of butchering a 11x14 piece of Deardorff kit); If the latter I would think you are still in trouble as the size of the light tight rabbits about the hole are to large for 8x10.
    Personally I would just take your time finding and buying a new set of backs for each camera.

PS. It is hard to compress the studio camera bellows enough to do 4x5 at infinity at some focal lengths and in retrospect having a 4x5 reduction back for the 8x10 was not worth it; but then I have a separate 4x5 to use
    PPS My studio camera is the 1950's art deco style; studio cameras may vary.

Re: How to make a reducing back for a Deardorff Studio

Deardorff made a revolving reducing back for the V11 that allowed you to use V8 backs on it. Not sure if they made one for the S11, but I would guess they did. Might want to contact Ken Hough and ask. Good luck.

Name:	attachment.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	185773