Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Omega/Peak Enlarging tool question

Drew Wiley

Re: Omega/Peak Enlarging tool question

I should clarify the above statement a little. Rather than imagining the film to comprise a direct exposure to density ratio over the full range of applicable "Zones", I visualize the actual curve of any specific film & developer regimen at the time of the shot, and place the shadow meter values relative to that, toe or not, right onto the specific characteristics of a given curve. I know its shape already. No charts, no Smartphone programs, no Zone blurb. After having made gosh knows how many denstitometer plots over the years, of various films, often for technical applications far more demanding than ordinary photography, the whole process has become almost subconscious and spontaneous. But in principle, for learning purposes, one could easily carry a visual reference to any particular film's characteristic curve, either in print or on a Smartphone. The specific characteristics of the toe are very important to me. If placement is correctly made relative to that, there will be a lot of room left over toward the top of the curve without risk of a shoulder. But there are cases when I deliberately underexpose and overdevelop the film for sake of significant expansion of the midtones (the direct opposite of conventional advice). But with a deliberate felony like that, a contrast mask is generally required for easy printing (always required back in the days of graded only papers). The look is quite different from conventional methodology. With HP5, it can produce almost etched-looking prints from 8x10 shots, wonderful microtonality and edge effect; but it's not a good strategy for high contrast scenes. I approach each shot differently, tailor it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post

But this thread concerns enlarger negative stages. My two-bits, using a Leitz Valoy and Leitz IIa I have not found Newton rings. Perhaps I am lucky.
    OK, Focomat, AN glass, _____ (etc)-_____...

If you have the types that have the condenser that pushes down on the film directly, sometimes (with some film bases) you can easily get rings as the smooth surfaces make contact... Humidity will affect this, as well as how much the film is curled etc... With all b/w 35mm in my workflow, once it is dry, I don't cut it yet but backroll it on to a 35mm film core, put the core into a 100 ft bulk film can and release the film roll so it expands into the can (you can stack films)...This is left there until I get back to it (days, weeks, months)... When it's removed, the film is quite flat and easy to manage... In my focomats, this is easy to insert, and no rings... But in some very extreme humidity conditions, it can show its ugly head... This is the time for an AN glass between the neg base and condenser...

I have the Leitz AN glass for over the condenser, but I noticed that the further away the condenser is from the neg, the print contrast softens considerably, and the Leitz glass is quite thick, so this makes a big difference, so a thinner glass would be nice... So I took apart a Gepe 6x6 AN slide mount, polished the edges so it would not abrade film, took silver tape to make a hinge to attach to the neg carrier, and used this glass as the spacer between neg and condenser... This worked great, and rings were gone!!! The only downside is the Gepe AN glass likes to hold dust better, so cleaning before projecting that frame requires care... So this is my rainy night carrier, when rings like to come out and haunt me...

Another help with the 35mm models is heat from the lamp can be projected to the film, and might cause ringing, so get the thin IR filter glass from a Carousel projector, and put it between the top condenser holder ring and the spring inside the head, so your film behaves better in the heat...

I have and use a # of Leitz enlargers I love, and there are other major upgrades!!!

Happy Next Year!!!

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 29-Dec-2018 at 16:48.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    OK, Focomat, AN glass, Yada-yada...
    I stopped reading there. I have been using Focomat (IIA) and Valoys for almost fifty years. I don't appreciate your disdain.

I stopped reading there. I have been using Focomat (IIA) and Valoys for almost fifty years. I don't appreciate your disdain.
    No no, I ment before this thread wandered, just trying to get back into focus...

Sorry, improper use of "yada-yada", I'll get rid of it... How's "etc"
    suit ya?!?

It's ok to read the rest, and if you still think I'm being distainful, leave battered me behind the woodshed until spring...:-)

All good things to you!!!

Steve K

Thank you guys. Yes, the carrier. I live in Florida so I have ALWAYS gotten AN rings! So I have the AN glass inserts. Steve, I never realized that the contrast was so reduced. Once, before I shelled out the cash for the proper Leica AN glass, I removed the AN glass from a broken negative carrier from a V-35 enlarger. The AN glass in that holder is Leitz but it considerably thinner than the 'proper' 1c glass. So I taped it in there and it did work very well. Perhaps I should go back to that! LOL. Thank you ALL for responding in so many ways. It's always a rewarding experience! Robbie

www.robbiebedell.photoshelter.com

Well, try it Robbie... I have a collection of Focomats/Valoys/II'S + macro/micro gear and accessories, and stumbled into the contrast thing when I tried the tilting correction stage thing, and a top half glassless neg carrier half I would use on soggy nights, but got a different contrast... You can have some space between, but the higher the condenser, the flatter the print contrast... The thin Gepe glass was a good compromise, as thinner is better...

Good luck, and if you have any Focomat questions, just shout...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    No no, I ment before this thread wandered, just trying to get back into focus...

Sorry, improper use of "yada-yada", I'll get rid of it... How's "etc"
    suit ya?!?

Steve K
    My apology, Steve. My fault that an old, injuring recall interrupted ordinary sense. "Yada-yada" was a term from an editor too long ago that I should have put it out of mind. Oh, I outlived him, for better or worse.

Be well, my friend.

My apology, Steve. My fault that an old, injuring recall interrupted ordinary sense. "Yada-yada" was a term from an editor too long ago that I should have put it out of mind. Oh, I outlived him, for better or worse.

Be well, my friend.
    No problem!!! I too have some old PTSD triggers buried not far below the surface too...

The reason to live longest is so you can put on your grave dancing shoes to dance a jig over your foes...

Happy new year, but hurry, you still have some 2018 left to use up!!!

Steve K