Thread: Hello from Tulsa Oklahoma

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello from Tulsa Oklahoma

Hey all,
    My name is Ken Johnson and I’m new to the forum and LF.

My story.
    I’ve always been interested in photography, my grandfather and my parents being both avid photographers. I grew up having many digital cameras over the years.
    So, I’ve been on a journey looking for the highest quality cameras for some time. Last year, I was reading the famous Ken Rockwell website in which he wrote about 4x5, that got me hooked on the idea.
    I decided to pursue film for its quality.

Last year as well, I was gifted on my birthday with a complete LF camera package and gear and film.
    My entry into 4x5.
    The camera is a Toyo 45ax
    I’ve what looks like a good set of lenses, Sinar 90mm/4.5, Schneider 150mm/5.6, & a Fuji 250mm/6.3

Its been a joy practicing and shooting. I discovered a local photography shop (Apertures Photo) in many ways support LF, making life more easy.

I want to get into shooting astrophotography and eventually (weather permitting) lightning bolts.
    Both I’ve had success with digital but 4x5 seems more tricky.

Trying to shoot a day a week at least.

This forum seems loaded with invaluable knowledge saved over the years from those who practiced the art for decades. I thank you.

Ken Johnson

Re: Hello from Tulsa Oklahoma

Hi Bolderj,
    just curious - what makes you believe that 4x5 photography will be better, easier or of a higher quality than digital astro-photography and digital lightning bolts photography?

loujon

Re: Hello from Tulsa Oklahoma

Welcome Ken & glad you've joined us.

Sounds like your a little way into your large format journey but if you run into any troubles or just curious & have a question ask away. There are some good folks here & plenty of useful knowledge and some wisdom available around this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Hi Bolderj,
    just curious - what makes you believe that 4x5 photography will be better, easier or of a higher quality than digital astro-photography and digital lightning bolts photography?

The only thing Ken says regarding quality was "I decided to pursue film for its quality" not one being better then other.