Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unkown lens f2.5 Possible large format

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Unkown lens f2.5 Possible large format

Picked up this lens which came with a Agiflex, it had a slide on collar so it could mount onto the camera.

Its got 15 blades and 82mm across the lens glass and is bloody heavy, Any idea?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 48411202_469802383548516_5132814260379844608_n.jpg   49017693_442345542964582_2232061771785437184_n.jpg  
    Last edited by scottmorgan; 25-Dec-2018 at 13:26.

Re: Unkown lens f2.5 Possible large format

Looks interesting, what is the coverage and focal length?

Probably 80mm across. A few scrooges around, lighten up. It's Christmas 🎄🎅

Anti-Xmas spirit aside, when I first saw the picture I wondered whether it might be a lens from an aerial camera. Possible, but it lacks the stigmata. Most, not all, lenses for medium format aerial cameras have three pins at the front of the barrel, 120 degrees apart. These are for attaching spring-loaded filter holders. Aircraft vibrate, screw-in filters can and do unscrew themselves. Spring-loaded filter holders can't and don't.

I'm not acquainted with all of the likely ex-aerial camera lenses, but it is wrong for the ones I know. It has a diaphragm, so it isn't an adapted projection lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Anti-Xmas spirit aside, when I first saw the picture I wondered whether it might be a lens from an aerial camera. Possible, but it lacks the stigmata. Most, not all, lenses for medium format aerial cameras have three pins at the front of the barrel, 120 degrees apart. These are for attaching spring-loaded filter holders. Aircraft vibrate, screw-in filters can and do unscrew themselves. Spring-loaded filter holders can't and don't.

I'm not acquainted with all of the likely ex-aerial camera lenses, but it is wrong for the ones I know. It has a diaphragm, so it isn't an adapted projection lens.
    Schneider and Rollei, among others, made projection lenses with diaphragms!

Anti-Xmas spirit aside, when I first saw the picture I wondered whether it might be a lens from an aerial camera. Possible, but it lacks the stigmata.
    Christmas or not, I still have to see an aerial camera lens in 32mm of its diameter. Definitely not an aerial camera lens.

Sorry not sure what I wrote before but the lens is about 82mm across the front optic and not sure where I got 32mm from

From a little more research it looks very similar to a kodak aero ektar 7" but the barrel and aperture ring look completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by scottmorgan View Post
    Sorry not sure what I wrote before but the lens is about 82mm across the front optic and not sure where I got 32mm from
    82mm is about 3.2 inches.

Yep, I thought about the 7"/2.5 AE, and agree with you. The front of the barrel is wrong for that lens.

Pfsor, "aerial cameras" includes gun cameras that shot 16 mm cine film. Some of these used quite small lenses. Not what those of us who adapt lenses from aerial cameras for use on, e.g., Speed Graphics, tend to think of as aerial camera lenses but that's because we can't use them, not because they weren't fitted to aerial cameras.

Yep, I thought about the 7"/2.5 AE, and agree with you. The front of the barrel is wrong for that lens.

Pfsor, "aerial cameras" includes gun cameras that shot 16 mm cine film. .
    Dan, gun cameras are not aerial cameras, even if they shot in the air. No need to make even more confusion than it is with OP's mm, cm, and in measures.