Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On the Road in Chile

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: On the Road in Chile

Watch out for the big black flies!

Thomas

Wow Vaughn, sounds like a great trip, have fun and shoot lots of 5x7. They should make awesome little carbon prints!

Roger

In Santiago and flying back to CA tomorrow. Took a couple 5x7s from the hostel roof terrace of the city this evening and again at dark...using up my loaded film.

It has been a great trip -- not too many images -- lots of high winds and moving fast. But that is what I expected. Argentina's idea of gravel for roads are rocks up to a 4 inches in diameter or so, and pavement tends to have potholes that exceed the tires' diameter. Glad it was a rental van!

Incredible landscapes of all types.

Got to run!

VAUGHN
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Sounds like a wonderful trip, but if you wanted some chili, it seems popular in much of the Southwest, closer to home.

Safely back in California — just have to drive to the other end of the state tomorrow, storms permitting.

No spicy food in Chile...don’t be fooled be the name!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

The worst of the storm has passed here. I don't know about SoCal. The only slide on the coast is around Big Sur. Further north, there could be some flooding issues in the Russian River area, as well as fallen trees here n there; two
    falling tree fatalities locally so far. Lots of power outages. It was darn wet this week.

Back home in Blue Lake -- roads good all the way up. (After 5000+km of driving roads in Chile and Argentina, CA roads are easy!) I bypassed the Bay Area. I headed to Hwy 5 after dropping a son off in Santa Barbara), then back to Hwy 101 via Hwys 16 and 20. A touch over 14 hours of driving over a 26 hour period (slept in the car along Cache Creek after I got too drowsy last night). The creeks and rivers are all up and looking good.

Rats did not invade my house this time, all looks well.

Time to order some pyro developer for the thirty 5x7 negatives exposed (about 20 unique images) from Southern Chile. Might be five in there that could be considered 'keepers' if I am lucky. Lots of carry-on x-rays this trip...the 100-year old 5x7 confused some of the folks on the scanners -- and had to put the pliers in the check bag after they worried the security folks (look like scissors on the screens).

PS -- Thomas -- yep those big black flies were a little bit of a bother...same flies that I dealt with when I was packing mules many years ago. Only a few mosquitos, so all-in-all, not much problem with bugs. Constant 20 to 50 kph winds in Patagonia might have helped in that respect, tho it made photographing with the 5x7 interesting!
    Last edited by Vaughn; 19-Jan-2019 at 23:57.

loujon

Welcome back Vaughn

Sounds like it was a terrific adventure w/ your sons Vaughn. Glad you've made it back to us safely with great memories and a few quality images. Win Win!

Les

Hey Vaughn, you must got a cat to prevent the invasion :>). Hope you had a good trip and looking forward to seeing some images.

Les

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Only a few mosquitos, so all-in-all, not much problem with bugs.
    And those mosquitoes don't carry malaria (too cool for them down there) so you don't have to worry about getting a malaria shot and bringing quinine tabs with you.

Thomas