Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locations for Sea Foam in Southern or Central California?

Drew Wiley

Re: Locations for Sea Foam in Southern or Central California?

Ocean Beach is another one that gets sewage closures from time to time. There are no more hippies. Before they got onto the endangered species list, the last three spotted in Bolinas were caught, and are currently taxidermied in the Smithsonian 60's diorama. Rumored sightings of two more in Garberville are kinda like the ivory billed woodpecker - maybe, maybe not. They'll all soon be forgotten, just like Sears Slowbuck stores.

WalMart and Auto Supply stores have it for the gas tank or crankcase.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

The few surviving hippies in Fresno are mostly tenured at CSUF.
    One "family" has been spotted in the Santa Cruz mountains and wildlife biologists have outfitted them with radio transmitters to track their movements.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I could mention a mega hippie who once taught poetry there, and definitely looked and smelled like an authentic hippie. Initials R.M. He lived up in the hills, but on his commute to and from, would go atop that little hill at Academy so he could spot cops from a distance when indulging in illegal recreational substances.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I could mention a mega hippie who once taught poetry there, and definitely looked and smelled like an authentic hippie. Initials R.M. He lived up in the hills, but on his commute to and from, would go atop that little hill at Academy so he could spot cops from a distance when indulging in illegal recreational substances.
    An EZ grader, LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

We referred to him as Mr. R. "Messy". He lived in a little shack with his wife and a younger "organic" gardner who always wore only a filthy loincloth. None of them shaved, bathed, or combed their hair. But law enforcement largely ignored them. There were much bigger fish to fry when it came to illegal commodities up in those woods. And the cowboys didn't bother them either. They were more concerned about hippie communes squatting on their big ranches and potentially starting range fires. There were a couple of incidents like that, with communes living in sandstone caves of the Ione Formation at the foot of the hills around Millerton. They were even giving their little kids LSD, and sanitation was nonexistent. I never heard of one of them being outright maimed or killed by cowboys, but I'm sure there were a few incidents when one of those hippies got lassoed from horseback, hog-tied to a tree somewhere, and were almost frightened to death. That was the whole point. But even that world was turned upside-down almost immediately. The very next year after I graduated, the High School class president got arrested for bringing a sack of psychedelic drugs back from SF, spent a year in prison, and then predictably married the daughter of the High School Principal, who sure wasn't happy about it! I say predictably, because even Steinbeck wouldn't have come up with a story like that; yet scandalous fate in small towns always seems to involve the progeny of either the Principal or the Preacher, always. It's an Einsteinian Law of the rural universe.