Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for small, light 2-300mm 5"x4" lens needed.

Suggestions for small, light 2-300mm 5"x4" lens needed.

I have both 90 and 150mm lenses in Copal 00 shutters and would like to add something a little longer. That said, I would like it to be as small and light as possible for two reasons; carriability, and compatibility with my camera - a 5"x4" Gandolfi with a restrictive front unless I reconstruct the this somewhat (apparently mine has a special order front!) which I can do but would obviously prefer not to. I'm not overly concerned with 'ultimate' image quality so the latest and greatest lenses don't interest me, and I'm happy to use something like a small process lens as long as it works reasonably for landscapes at infinity or there about. Lower cost would be better too. Any suggestions?

Foamer

Re: Suggestions for small, light 2-300mm 5"x4" lens needed.

Nikon 250M, 300M. Rodenstock Geronar 300mm f8

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The smallest and lightest modern lenses are the Nikon Nikkor M 300mm and the Fuji C 300mm. Neither are what I'd call cheap on the used market, but both have excellent image quality at any typical magnification factor used in landscape photography.

I think that 250M is actually the 200M, and both of these Nikkor M lenses are small (the 200 is tiny) and excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Nikon 250M, 300M. Rodenstock Geronar 300mm f8

Kent in SD
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

The Nikon M 300mm F/9 lens mentioned above is a peach. I used to have one. It's small, lightweight, sharp and contrasty. It has an image circle of 325 so it will provide more coverage than you will ever need for 4x5. It will even cover 8x10. I don't know what your budget is. I checked eBay real quick. There are three buy-it-nows for less than $400. One as low as $350. They are definitely worth the money. I sold mine because I moved up to 8x10 and bought a 14" Commercial Ektar (358mm). I had paid $350 for mine and easily sold it for $400 several years ago

Here is what Kerry Thalmann has to say about it.

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/300-450.htm

Can't get much smaller than the 203mm Ektar...which throws a very nice image, by the way.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Nikkor 200M and 300M are both excellent.

Drew Wiley

Absolutely ditto. Nikkor 200 and 300 M (there is no 250M). But I also use the 180 and 240 Fuji A lenses, equally small and precise, but with larger image circles relative to focal length. For instance, the 240 Fuji A has even more wiggle room on 8x10 film than the 300 Nikkor M. I also love the Fuji 450C for both 4x5 and 8x10 work, but that's only the case in 4x5 with my Sinar monorails and their long extensions and interchangeable bellows, not with my little 4x5 folder, which has less than 400mm of bellows capacity. There is also a 300 Fuji C (compact), but it's less common and therefore generally more expensive than the 300 Nikkor M. Process lenses are comparatively bigger barrel lenses. They can be wonderful optically, but aren't such a bargain once you add the price of a shutter and mounting. Nor are they compact. They work fine for long "lenscap" style of exposures, provided your camera and tripod are very stable.

+1 for the Nikkor 300M - small and sharp (also has 52mm filter threads).

+1 also for the 203mm Ektar which is er... just kind of lovely in so many ways (small, modest, unassuming...) Issue could be dodgy speeds of older shutters - you would expect a Copal to be more accurate.

If all you will be shooting is B&W another less expensive option is the Nikkor 300/f9 Q. It's only single coated but it's the same lens otherwise, just a bit older. Look for one with a good glass/shutter and you should be good to go.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/