Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best affordable 4X5 Field camera

Re: Best affordable 4X5 Field camera

The best affordable 4x5 would be the best one that you can afford!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    The best affordable 4x5 would be the best one that you can afford!
    That's true. And without knowing the budget, it's really hard to recommend anything. You're going to have to compromise somewhere. Depending on your budget and needs, I'm sure something can be suggested that will work.

Back when I was looking for a field camera, I chose an Anniversary Speed Graphic. I switched out the front standard for a Pacemaker version to get some tilt. The movements are limited, but it's always been enough for landscape work. It works fine with all of my lenses, including my 65mm and 360mm (which is a telephoto).

What really sold me on it was the focal plane shutter, rugged build construction, rangefinder, and price. It seemed like the perfect compliment to a monorail. So now I still have the monorail for when I need extreme movements, and have the press camera for everything else. Needless to say, it satisfied my field camera itch.

Agree the Toyo 45 series field cameras are mechanically solid and deliver good results. I use one with lenses from 58mm to 300mm. The OP didn't give a budget so can't speak to affordability.

Like often with these questions the OP seems vanished after 3 pages of answers and responders are still debating about the original theme
    But I can surely recommend the Chamonix F2 which I own but before I’d do that, I’d take a closer look at the H1 where the backs can be changed for 6x17, 5x7 or 4x10. I missed this option when I decided for the F2

Affordable is a relative term. My first 4x5 was a Busch Pressman D. Aside from my monorails I also have a prinzdorff. I have not paid more than $200 for any of my LF cameras. Including the 8x10. They are all work horses and will not win any form of beauty contest. As long as the bellows is light tight and, in the case of a field camera opens and closes you are good.

Your 65mm requirement is going to be a tough to fit into the affordable category..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post
    Your 65mm requirement is going to be a tough to fit into the affordable category..
    4x5 Crown Graphic's minimum extension is 52.4 mm. 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic's minimum extension is 66.7 mm. 65/8 Super Angulon's flange focal distance is 70.5 mm.

Probably the most affordable, but a little frustrating, is a Toyo 45A. I've always found operating field cameras to be fairly straightforward but that camera has knobs and levers that always confuse me.

Arca-Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWalker View Post
    I have been in 4x5 for 35 years, but so far, I have been in the studio or in close familiar places using older Calumet monorails. I want a field camera that will handle lenses from 65mm to 300mm. I have a Calumet slide in 120 holder that I use often. Something light weight but sturdy. I'm sure many of you have already figured this out. Thanks!!
    The issue with the roll back is its weight. many wooden cameras do not have sufficient springs to keep the roll back in register. Graflok is better but requires removal of the glass if the cameras has this attachment system available.
    The Arca-Swiss F-Line C Field camera would be an affordable and especially in 171 series. It has a great focus screen collapses down and is extremely precise.
    But i admit I am biased. These are available used so a judicious search may turn one up. This series is only available used, as Arca-Swiss in 2004 moved on to the 141 series.

Just an idea.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

I love my Chamonix. I hike as much as I have time for and can carry it fairly easily (and I'm not a big person). I use my 135mm and 210mm the most and it handles those well.

Older model Linhof Technika. Solid, enough movements for most field work and they just keep on working.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.