Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let’s open a new can of worms- “best color for the enlarger’s table surface?

Let’s open a new can of worms- “best color for the enlarger’s table surface?

Made room for, and assembled, my “new” Super Chromega 10 x 10 enlarger. It’s natural wood table is deeply scarred and stained...

I was about to sand it down and make it look like new – a beautiful natural wood finish. Then it struck me, with the help of someone much smarter than I, (Alan Ross) that perhaps it would be better off being gray or dark gray.

I bet there are a lot of opinions with a lot of “intellectual support” behind them.

I would appreciate everyone’s advice (or SWAG’s) before I jump in!

Thanks!

BTW- Happiest of Holidays!!!!

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Let’s open a new can of worms- “best color for the enlarger’s table surface?

Poll!

Light grey matt for a couple reasons.

I can then see a projection size beyond the easel.

Shiny is very bad, so matt.

Timely thread for me as right now considering how to paint a new 8X10 enlarger table.
    Tin Can

Re: Let’s open a new can of worms- “best color for the enlarger’s table surface?

And why matt grey and not matt black?

I answered that in my post.

I have used gloss back and matt black on 2 10X10 enlargers and found myself putting down a matt white mat board to see what I wanted to enlarge.

Sometimes I don't use an easel...

So matt grey will be next and is easily changed if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    And why matt grey and not matt black?
    Tin Can

Randy made a great suggestion.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Peter and I was just looking for 18% grey paint.

Then saw B&H popup with this product. GTI Standard Gray Neutral N7 Vinyl Latex Paint (1 Gallon)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Randy made a great suggestion.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Thanks Peter and I was just looking for 18% grey paint.

Then saw B&H popup with this product. GTI Standard Gray Neutral N7 Vinyl Latex Paint (1 Gallon)

But I don't need a $100 gallon so I am checking a local store.

Back here in Connecticut wanted to paint the walls in my darkroom 18% gray. Took an 18% gray card to our ACE Hardware store. They matched it perfectly for a little over $20.00 a gallon. Going on 3 years and the painted walls still match an 18% gray card.

If I ever build another darkroom from scratch, I'll paint all of it white except around the enlarger, and use a 18% safelight. When the room lights are on, it's nice for the room to be bright.

Right now i cannot find my two 18% grey cards.

I am not buying the B&H paint, but I like their explanation, quote from B&H,

"GTI N7/G Overview
    The 1-gallon Standard Gray Neutral N7 Vinyl Latex Paint from GTI is formulated for the plastic, textile, and the non-graphic industry, which is required to evaluate color correctly in a viewing area. The Munsell N7/ paint is applied in the surrounding area, which eliminates simultaneous color contrast. This helps your eyes see color accurately because of the chromatically neutral environment. At the same time, the paint minimizes color pollution caused from chromatic surfaces. The matte flat enamel paint is water-reducible and can be applied by roller, spray gun, or brush."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Back here in Connecticut wanted to paint the walls in my darkroom 18% gray. Took an 18% gray card to our ACE Hardware store. They matched it perfectly for a little over $20.00 a gallon. Going on 3 years and the painted walls still match an 18% gray card.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by popdoc View Post
    Super Chromega 10 x 10 enlarger.
    If from a 10x10" you are to make large prints then problem is not the table color, but the color in the walls, in special those that are close to the enlarger.

Of the light arriving to the paper around 90% is reflected, if walls are very reflective and reflecting (say) a 70% then of the light power that the lens throws a 63% if glowing back from the walls. This is a problem if print is large, the darkroom is small and all walls are white. For big prints a priority is painting black the wall in the back of the enlarger.