Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMY in PMK = spots/mottling?

TMY in PMK = spots/mottling?

I don't usually use Pyro (PMK) for processing 120 roll film but yesterday I decided I'd give it a go with a roll of TMY I shot under foggy conditions, as Pyro is reputed to be good at enhancing atmospheric effects like fog, making them more "tactile". While I do like the look of the images I got, I'm disturbed to discover that the negatives have some subtle spotting/mottling in the higher values. Here is an example. The marks are most evident in the upper right and left corners of the image, as lighter spots:

A larger version can be viewed here to see the marks more clearly: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4899/3...28c1931d_k.jpg

Any idea what is going on here? Did I do something wrong?
    I followed the directions exactly as written in the instruction sheet that came with the chemistry (Photographers Formulary PMK, 2 part solution) using a distilled water stop, the T4 fixer (made fresh) plus a final 2 minute immersion in the developer AFTER the fix. (Which I gather is no longer deemed necessary). Final wash was 20 minutes at 72F, and rinse in distilled water plus a few drops of Photo Flo at the very end. I did a 3 minute presoak in distilled water as well, and all solutions were within 3 degrees F at all times. I've used this exact procedure with other films and never seen this mottling before. This is the recent batch of TMY dated 2021 I believe. It has been stored at room temperature in dry conditions for about 14 months before I shot the roll.

Drew Wiley

Re: TMY in PMK = spots/mottling?

Probably condensation on the film at the time of the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Really? Every frame on the roll, exactly the same spotting? Seems unlikely, as there were only seconds between some shots - and that after the camera had cooled to match the environment (it was a mild 40F outside). I’ve shot under these conditions many times with the same camera and never seen this effect before. Why this time?

I'd try refixing/washing/drying before guessing much more.

Possibly an effect from reimmersion in spent developer. I never liked the results from that procedure and stopped doing it several years ago. The overall stain effect is rarely even or predictable.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Possibly an effect from reimmersion in spent developer.
    Possibly, but I can't begin to explain how that would work. Either way, as you pointed out, I'd just omit that step.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Looking at the larger version of the image, I'd think this is a reasonable explanation. However, Paul brings up some relevant issues w.r.t. earlier experiences and shot-to-shot consistency. I'm drawing a blank on those issues.

This is one of those cases in which you'd like to have a really good (very close) look at the actual film. It may give some clues, e.g. as to the narrow band along the top of this frame that is relatively free of spots (which could be consistent with a condensation issue) and the nature of the spots themselves. Do they seem to 'sit' on top of the emulsion, or do they look like an integral part of it? How are they delineated? They're really really small, but a high-magnification loupe could help. Even a high-res scan could provide some more information.

Hi Paul

Even neutral grey is a real problem for PMK and for any developer for that matter... Totally looks like you need to agitate twist invert immediately to get the chemicals completely to the full surface of the film, specially roll film and the PMK is a hardening developer and I find I have to be fast to get even grey backgrounds smooth, I spent a two month period trying to figure out how to fix the problem.

Bob

It looks like the edges that were in the reel suffered different development also. I'd say it is an agitation problem. What is your method?

Tiny plus-density spots like this are very extremely unlikely to be an agitation issue. I think some people are looking at the 'wrong' problem here. You need to open the big version on Flickr; it's the tiny little white spots all over the frame that Paul is informing about.

tbh, when I looked at the super duper sized image, first thing I thought was fungus/mould. I haven't encountered this in the films I've processed in PMK, and I'm using city tap water which is not softened, but not hard.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...