Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do shutter repairs cost?

Re: How much do shutter repairs cost?

Years ago I inquired about shutter repairs from famous tech and he said "About $100". But, he warned, if you bring it in as pieces in a bag and say studio junior took it apart and you haven't the time to put it back together again then $200. And if you want to watch then $400!
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I'll second Carol Flutot. I had her repair a shutter for my Speed Graphic that was sticky. It works great now. She does like to be contacted before you send anything to her so she can expect it.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Good luck with her. I am still waiting for the call. She said she was too busy with personal things and she would call me about one year ago. Nothing. In the meantime, I found a guy on Ebay that offered to fix shutters for $90. I send it to him and in two weeks came back perfectly OK. I also found a guy in Youtube who shows how to fix shutters and contacted him. He also CLAd one shutter for $100, about 2 months ago. still waiting for Carol.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    I also found a guy in Youtube who shows how to fix shutters and contacted him.
    He also CLAd one shutter for $100, about 2 months ago.
    Anybody who shows how to "fix" a shutter on YouTube doesn't know what he's doing.

The difficult parts of a CLA are the L (Lubricate) and A (Adjust).

I have a couple of dozen different lubricants, each of which is used in specific locations in certain shutters.
    Some of these are quite expensive (like $90 per ounce).

Adjusting a shutter requires specialized test equipment which an average shooter certainly does not have.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    He also CLAd one shutter for $100, about 2 months ago. still waiting for Carol.
    Carol CLA'd my shutter for $100, too, and I doubt she gained her knowledge of shutters by watching YouTube videos! And, as I said, I had it back within 6 weeks.

There are many good camera repair shops that can easily repair most shutters. Shutter repairs are very basic work for professional shops.

Try Bob Watkins at Precision in IL, Prescision Camera in Austin, Tempe Camera in Phoenix, Pro Camera in DC, Professional Camera in Charlottesville, Nippon in NYC, or, if you live anywhere near a camera store like Ace, Swamy’s, Bear Images, Glazers, Looking Glass, Hunt, Pro Cam, Arlington, etc. ask them who does it near them.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Anybody who shows how to "fix" a shutter on YouTube doesn't know what he's doing.

- Leigh
    I am impressed (not really, I am used to) with how people respond to a comment with such a radical and absolute affirmation. The person who happened to post these videos on Youtube has a camera repair shop well established. In fact, he could be one of the members of this forum. So, next time, think before writing. I am very happy with his work.

Just for information: Many professionals post videos on Youtube. They cannot advertise their services because they will have to pay Youtube as commercial. So, they post free videos showing what they do. It is up to you to contact and decide if this is the professional you need, or this is just an enthusiast. We are in a new world, we have to adopt to it.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones