Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Overall, it looks great. I see a couple of hotspots, rope and around front of name. Good tonality and contrast. Have you thought about split toning or single tone Louie sepia or selimium?
    I'd very much like to, but haven't tried it yet. I'm still very much new to all of this (printing, large format, and film photography in general) so I've got a lot of skills still to develop and practice. I was a little hesitant to venture into toning quite yet because my current "darkroom" has no ventilation, but seems like I could actually do that outside? Maybe I'll give it a shot sooner rather than later....

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsweet View Post
    This was my best shot from February (and likely for a while to come!) Already shared this in the Portraits thread, but I'd be happy to hear any feedback or suggestions for improvement with future portraits.

Karis
    Intrepid 4x5 mk3
    Fujinon-W 250mm 6.3
    Yellow filter
    f/11 @ 1/30
    Ilford HP5 400
    Diafine
    Epson v800
    Jeff, is as others have said very nice job. It is just my opinion but if you were to crop just above the elbows and allow her shirt to disappear off frame I feel it makes it much more powerful. Frankly the elbows bother me a little. Beautiful portrait.

I think this one has to be my favorite find from last weeks road trip through the south/midwest US.

House Along the Ohio River, November 2021

Arca Swiss 8x10
    E100G
    Rodenstock Sironar 210mm W

"Happy Hunting Ground"

Technical Details: Nagaoka Seisakusho Woody 4x5 (as "Calumet Woodfield"), Rodenstock Grandagon N 90mm F/6.8 @ F/22, Provia 100F, NCPS, Epson V800.

Artistic Thoughts: This is within feet of where I hunt each Fall. The trees were arranged bowling pin style and had good shadows, knowing I'd be blowing out the opposite corner with the sun. I spot meter exposed for the trees leaves, and averaged around the scene (excepting the sun, of course). Happily, the Grandagon handled direct sunlight without extra flare or ghosts. I'm surprised by the good golden effect of the grass.

Artist Details: I'm a Newbie here. All feedback is welcome ... but not too harsh, please! :-)

Location: Extreme S.E. corner of Washington State, within a mile of OR and ID, in a place called "Green Gulch", where Chief Joseph was born.

Please do not get mad. I saw your post first

Then this came in the mail

Thx Give by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr 2 hours later I got this caard

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    I think this one has to be my favorite find from last weeks road trip through the south/midwest US.

House Along the Ohio River, November 2021

Arca Swiss 8x10
    E100G
    Rodenstock Sironar 210mm W

Nicholas O. Lindan

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cloven View Post
    "Happy Hunting Ground" ... Location: Extreme S.E. corner of Washington State, within a mile of OR and ID, in a place called "Green Gulch", where Chief Joseph was born.
    I looked at it and thought "Oh, South Africa? Namibia? Hunting, what, eland?"

Lovely picture, BTW. You are right, the lovely rendition of the grass is what makes it. Makes me want to sit in the shade of the trees, comfortable chair, pitcher of something cool and alcoholic, and a good book.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cloven View Post
    "Happy Hunting Ground"

Technical Details: Nagaoka Seisakusho Woody 4x5 (as "Calumet Woodfield"), Rodenstock Grandagon N 90mm F/6.8 @ F/22, Provia 100F, NCPS, Epson V800.

Artistic Thoughts: This is within feet of where I hunt each Fall. The trees were arranged bowling pin style and had good shadows, knowing I'd be blowing out the opposite corner with the sun. I spot meter exposed for the trees leaves, and averaged around the scene (excepting the sun, of course). Happily, the Grandagon handled direct sunlight without extra flare or ghosts. I'm surprised by the good golden effect of the grass.

Artist Details: I'm a Newbie here. All feedback is welcome ... but not too harsh, please! :-)

Location: Extreme S.E. corner of Washington State, within a mile of OR and ID, in a place called "Green Gulch", where Chief Joseph was born.
    I would have passed this opportunity up because of the technical obstacles which you overcame magnificently. Now I keep coming back to it. Photographs rarely have that magnetic quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Please do not get mad. I saw your post first

Then this came in the mail

Thx Give by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr 2 hours later I got this caard
    LOL. Just a greeting card photographer... :-P

Xray film 18x24cm, Fuji UM MA, Wehner Developer, Steinheil Othostigmat 4.5/210mm (post war plasmat copy) @f/32, Toyo Field 810M