Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsweet View Post
    This was my best shot from February (and likely for a while to come!) Already shared this in the Portraits thread, but I'd be happy to hear any feedback or suggestions for improvement with future portraits.

Karis
    Intrepid 4x5 mk3
    Fujinon-W 250mm 6.3
    Yellow filter
    f/11 @ 1/30
    Ilford HP5 400
    Diafine
    Epson v800
    Jeff, I don't want this to be passed by; An excellent portrait. Just one quibble. If you are going for a central composition crop the left a bit.

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    This is great. I think a bit of keystoning adds drama to the image.... i've done this before on occasion.
    Thank you. I was still learning, still am, on how to correct this in the camera with rear tilt, but I agree, it worked well here and it is subtle, not I your face.

This was my best shot from February (and likely for a while to come!) Already shared this in the Portraits thread, but I'd be happy to hear any feedback or suggestions for improvement with future portraits.

Karis
    Intrepid 4x5 mk3
    Fujinon-W 250mm 6.3
    Yellow filter
    f/11 @ 1/30
    Ilford HP5 400
    Diafine
    Epson v800
    This really good, in addition to the suggest crop in from the left, I might also bring it up just a tad from the bottom and down from the top. Overall, I rate this 9 out of 10. Lighting, tones, etc are all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    This really good, in addition to the suggest crop in from the left, I might also bring it up just a tad from the bottom and down from the top. Overall, I rate this 9 out of 10. Lighting, tones, etc are all good.
    Thank you for the compliment! And great advice. Can't believe I didn't see that before...

We are our own worst enemy.

And my best picture from March:

Vernon, Fisherman's Terminal
    Calumet C-1
    Ilex-Calumet Caltar 14.75" 6.3
    8x10 Fujifilm Super HR-U Medium Green
    Diafine
    Epson v800

I really wanted a shallower depth of field because the boat in the background was visually distracting, but I was limited to 1/50sec with the shutter, and didn't have a filter with me, so the bright sunlight left me at f/32. I maybe could have slowed things down by a stop or two by switching developers, but Diafine is all I've used so far as I get used to 8x10 and x-ray film, and I decided to stay in the safety of my comfort zone.

... and darn it, it only just occurred to me that I could have used swing to reduce the DOF in the desired area.

Crud.

Lessons learned, I guess.

I just started taking 4x5 again and after starting to dabble a few years ago. Still just working with a Crown Graphic, but I love the format, and it seems like I will have plenty of time this coming month to keep playing around. This was the best shot I took in March.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img001-curves-small.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	202185

Crown Graphic 4x5
    Schneider Xenar 135mm 4.7
    Tri-X 320
    HC-110 1+100
    Epson V700
    mechanical self-timer

And my best picture from March:

Vernon, Fisherman's Terminal
    Calumet C-1
    Ilex-Calumet Caltar 14.75" 6.3
    8x10 Fujifilm Super HR-U Medium Green
    Diafine
    Epson v800

I really wanted a shallower depth of field because the boat in the background was visually distracting, but I was limited to 1/50sec with the shutter, and didn't have a filter with me, so the bright sunlight left me at f/32. I maybe could have slowed things down by a stop or two by switching developers, but Diafine is all I've used so far as I get used to 8x10 and x-ray film, and I decided to stay in the safety of my comfort zone.
    Overall, it looks great. I see a couple of hotspots, rope and around front of name. Good tonality and contrast. Have you thought about split toning or single tone like sepia or selimium?

Quote Originally Posted by exee View Post
    I just started taking 4x5 again and after starting to dabble a few years ago. Still just working with a Crown Graphic, but I love the format, and it seems like I will have plenty of time this coming month to keep playing around. This was the best shot I took in March.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img001-curves-small.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	202185

Crown Graphic 4x5
    Schneider Xenar 135mm 4.7
    Tri-X 320
    HC-110 1+100
    Epson V700
    mechanical self-timer
    Unusual composition. Looks as though he is anguished in some manner. In some respects the plastic curtain adds an uncomfortable feeling to it.