Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Silent Spring
    Tin Can

Wonderful image -- I love the center 'negative space', which is actually the lighter space (basically the branchless area)...a sensuous earth-mother form. Or at least that is where my mind is going tonight.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Its been years since I have looked at my Grand Canyon negatives (4x5 B&W and a few later larger negs). Now I am wondering if they are as bad as I remember -- probably...even after 30 or 40 years negatives do not improve with age.
    The negatives don't improve but what can improve is your opinion of them. Several years back, in Kern County north of Bakersfield, I shot an early morning 6x7 transparency of a view overlooking a plowed earthen field with the plow lines running vertically and disappearing in a luminous fog that the Central Valley is famous for. It looked like a picture to me which is the reason I stopped and took it. But when the transparency was developed it wasn't as appealing. For some reason that view popped into my mind a couple of days ago and I have been looking for it since. I keep all of my 6x7 slides mounting the ones I initially judge to be worthy in Gepe anti-newton mounts, and the rest in cardboard Blair mounts. Its in one of the card file boxes - each of which contain about 100 slides. I'll find it.

Thomas

PS: Don't throw anything way - you never know!

Curious for feedback on this.. January was a very productive month for photos and this is one of the better.

Snow and light at Beech Hill, Rockport Maine. February 2020. 4x5 preanniversary speed graphic with 9" Gundlach Hyperion soft focus lens. Ilford fp4+ film in pyrocat hdc.

img024a by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Curious for feedback on this..
    I think it's got a magical quality.

Perhaps this minor edit ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    I like the smooth, glass like water and the way your funneled into the center of the scene and then back out into the open water. You seem to accelerate towards the center and then slow down once you are past it. In much the same way a wind tunnel works.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Curious for feedback on this.. January was a very productive month for photos and this is one of the better.

Snow and light at Beech Hill, Rockport Maine. February 2020. 4x5 preanniversary speed graphic with 9" Gundlach Hyperion soft focus lens. Ilford fp4+ film in pyrocat hdc.

img024a by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr
    Looks a bit surreal and ominus like a dream that fades away as you wake the way it goes from in focus to blur as you move farther into the scene until it is hard to know what you are looking at. Gives that feeling of I know something and I am positive about it, but I just can't remember any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

This is subtle for sure. I like it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

Hi Ken. I think a minor edit like that is lost when you consider all the variability in everyone's computer monitor.