Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

High Key. Prescott Court House, I believe Tmax100, 75mm f/32, Red25A filter about a 1 min exposure. Don't have my notes with me.

Re: Your Best Photograph from the Previous Month - Critique and Discussion Encouraged

2020-01-14 Zhitomyr region of Ukraine, 8х10 Sh HC 31 7-30 min008-01web by Yuriy Sanin, on Flickr
    2020-01-12. Zhitomyr region. Wista 8x10, Fujinon L 420/8, Shanghai 100 in HC 1+31

Quote Originally Posted by orgraph View Post
    2020-01-14 Zhitomyr region of Ukraine, 8х10 Sh HC 31 7-30 min008-01web by Yuriy Sanin, on Flickr
    2020-01-12. Zhitomyr region. Wista 8x10, Fujinon L 420/8, Shanghai 100 in HC 1+31
    I like the smooth water. The detail is quite nice. Not a scene I would shoot. For me it is a bit busy, overall the tone, lighting and contrast are good. Maybe a different crop might work better.

2020-01-12 Denishi Foma 100 in XTOL 1+3 Иванков Foma 100 in XTOL 1+3 8 vin003 (1)-01web by Yuriy Sanin, on Flickr
    2020-01-04 Kyiv region, Ukraine. Wista SP 4x5, Fujinon A 180/9@22 Fomapan 100 in XTOL 1+3.

2020-01-04 Kyiv Region Ukraine Foma 100 in XTOL 1+3 8 vin002-01web2 by Yuriy Sanin, on Flickr
    2020-01-04 Kyiv region, Ukraine. Wista SP 4x5, Heliar 210/4.5@16 Fomapan 100 in XTOL 1+3.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I like the smooth water. The detail is quite nice. Not a scene I would shoot. For me it is a bit busy, overall the tone, lighting and contrast are good. Maybe a different crop might work better.
    Thanks a lot. Photographed late in the evening, almost in the dark.

Steve, my suggestions are minor since I rather like the simple geometry of your Prescott House. I would burn down the bright top of the steps a smidge, and would crop a bit of the empty foreground.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    High Key. Prescott Court House, I believe Tmax100, 75mm f/32, Red25A filter about a 1 min exposure. Don't have my notes with me.
    Wonderful use of the light -- I assume that a print would have more detail in the whites of the steps than I see on the screen -- I see good texture there on the screen as it is.

What I find interesting about this image is the optical illusion (or eye-brain failure) that can happen when a building is photographed from a low angle, yet has sides that are perfectly vertical...especially with a top-heavy piece of architecture like this. It appears to loom over me...my brain tells me that when looking up at this building, it's sides should tilt inwards, but they don't. So even with perfectly straight up and down sides, it gives me the same feeling as the walls angle outwards. An elevated vantage point (like on top of AA's vehicles) would be fun to play with.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by orgraph View Post
    I love working in areas like this. I would have tried moving the camera over about a meter to the left (if possible) to separate the two darker trunks on the right from the darker tree branches that jut out from the right side of the frame. It would invite my eyes and imagination to explore onwards through the print -- with the darker branches helping to keep my eyes within the print, rather than blocking me. But so much also depends on the interactions in the reflections and the wonderful shape of the space occupied by the plane of the water.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Steve, my suggestions are minor since I rather like the simple geometry of your Prescott House. I would burn down the bright top of the steps a smidge, and would crop a bit of the empty foreground.
    I hadn't thought of that. I will need to revisit this.